Where do you get the shim information?

I would like to try revalving my shock.  Where do you get the information on the shim stacks?  The bike in question is an 02 YZ, and it is used exclusively for woods.  

You need to make ur own stacks up, depending what ur feeling on the. Bike and what changes u need

• Like 1

Shim stacks are simple to make stiffer or softer , to make the better or right for you is the hard part , but generally woods riders use say 30% less damping than mx and sx say 50% more , just guesses not verified numbers

• Like 1

The bike I ride is an 03 yz 125, and it has been revalved and works perfectly for woods.  I just picked up a fork and shock from an 02 yz 250, and I would like to try revalving myself.  Suspension (other than fork seals, spring changes and other simple stuff) has always been a mystery to me, and it is the only thing on motorcycles that I pay other people to do.  I just think it is time I tried it myself.  I suppose I could take apart the existing shock and forks that work so well and just mimic them, but I was hoping to find basic information to just go ahead and try it on the used suspension I just purchased.  For example, I would think the valving from an 02-03 Yamaha WR would work just fine, but I don't know how to get the information.   Or alternatively, I could just buy the gold valve kit, but that gets kind of pricey.   What is the best way for a suspension newbie to go?

Do a search here, and you will find threads dealing with the subject,  or post your stacks, and someone may chime in to help.

IMG_20170615_152923.jpg

• Like 1

Places that revalve suspension keep their stacks secret. You'd have to get the Russians to hack their system to find out what there are.

Otherwise, just taking advice from someone who has done and experimented on their own is about the only ticket.

• Like 3

Also, even if the infos to your specific make / model / year of bike aren't available,

you can compare similar type fork/shock experiments from other makes & models,

seeing the before & after stacks and the having the rider's opinion on what improved or not.

Examples: changes to face shims, high speed/taper of the stack, on both compression and rebound etc.

to get a general idea of what does what and, what is common for woods type usage.

Of course if your valving isn't stock, knowing what the original specs were gives you the proper starting point.

If not posted in the TT archives, knowledgeable members here will likely have the infos to help you out.

Edited by mlatour