Bishop / Mammoth Trail Conditions - clear?

Anyone know if the trails up near Bishop and Mammoth are clear, or are they still snowed in?

Specifically woodcutter, black canyon, etc.

Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mitchb said:

Anyone know if the trails up near Bishop and Mammoth are clear, or are they still snowed in?

Thanks.

Woodcutter and Black Canyon are low. so they are clear.

some dual sport friends just did a ride up and around the area 2 weeks ago and had no issues. water crossings are deeper, but doable. snow is a non-issue.

• Like 1

Thanks.

When are you planning on going up Mitch?

mitch check out razr's wmrc thread on advrider.
if youre free, come out.

Out of town that weekend. Razr hooked me up with some rides tho.
  • Like 1

When are you planning on going up Mitch?

Either tomorrow afternoon or the end of August, all depends on how much I get done at work tomorrow.

Also - stupid heat wave.

Either tomorrow afternoon or the end of August, all depends on how much I get done at work tomorrow.

Also - stupid heat wave.

I'll be up there June 26-2

i mentioned to Mitch to check out http://www.GPSxchange.com for tracks from Countdown. he has a lot of great tracks in the area of Mammoth-Bishop-Bridgeport.

a lot of it is two track and a few spots that have singletrack -ish (stupid side by sides). most you will need a plate. i've only seen Rangers close to Mammoth. never around White Mountain and Black Mountain or Coyote Flats.

you will need to sign up to GPSxchange.com to download the tracks but they're all free.

• Like 1

Out of town that weekend. Razr hooked me up with some rides tho.

Mitch, let me know if you want my tracks for Woodcutter, Black Canyon, Coyote Flats....or any of those areas.

Mitch, let me know if you want my tracks for Woodcutter, Black Canyon, Coyote Flats....or any of those areas.

Absolutely, thanks!

Hey folks!  My 2 cents here is to be sure to ride the challenging but fun little singletrack segment (the only singletrack in Coyote Flats?!) sort of near Peterson's Mill in Coyote Flats to help keep it from getting overgrown!  Each time I've ridden there the sapling deciduous trees are growing up, making the lower entry hard to find.  Ride it and see if you don't agree that no side by sides or even smaller 4-wheel ATVs can make it through there, thank goodness!  I found that segment on the CTUC map, but had to search along the line of little trees where the map indicated it "should be"---before voila, there it is!  It's a great mix of closed-in and then an open, steep, and narrow trail with a fantastic easterly view behind you of the Owens Valley below!  Part way up the steep part is a great place to stop, catch your breath if you need to, have lunch, enjoy the view, move some boulders out of your way, then grind your way to the upper end!

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BSAVictor said:

Hey folks!  My 2 cents here is to be sure to ride the challenging but fun little singletrack segment (the only singletrack in Coyote Flats?!) sort of near Peterson's Mill in Coyote Flats to help keep it from getting overgrown!  Each time I've ridden there the sapling deciduous trees are growing up, making the lower entry hard to find.  Ride it and see if you don't agree that no side by sides or even smaller 4-wheel ATVs can make it through there, thank goodness!  I found that segment on the CTUC map, but had to search along the line of little trees where the map indicated it "should be"---before voila, there it is!  It's a great mix of closed-in and then an open, steep, and narrow trail with a fantastic easterly view behind you of the Owens Valley below!  Part way up the steep part is a great place to stop, catch your breath if you need to, have lunch, enjoy the view, move some boulders out of your way, then grind your way to the upper end!

Which one of these squiggly lines?

coyote.jpg.20ddeb885ead427f190d8e59b787c24d.jpg

• Like 1

is this from Countdown?

7 hours ago, mitchb said:

Absolutely, thanks!

Text me your email addy.

Edited by KennyMc

Oh, seems there's a few trails around them parts....

IMG_1497664626.558866.thumb.jpg.3c3e5dcc121295edce4349765aeac036.jpg

i'm sending you a message.
could i get your tracks?
i have Countdowns tracks but you have more.
they have closed off a lot of side trails in the last 2-3 years.

9 hours ago, mitchb said:

It's the stronger/darker red line.  Also, if you take 32E304 loop over to Funnel Lake from the northern side, be ready for fun with baby-head boulders and the disappearing-trail game!  Funnel is the eastern lake; it looks like it is right next to Rocky Bottom but there's a big morain/hill between them!

I wouldn't try to do Coyote Flats from the Big Pine end, but going to Big Pine from Coyote Flats is an "E-ticket" down-hiller! 

It took me maybe some 10 different visits to Coyote Flats to cover all the trails there!  I found a whole bunch of "Easter Eggs" there, including a geocache, etc., etc.! You gonna have fun, Boy!

Edited by BSAVictor
mas informacion
  • Like 2

It's the stronger/darker red line.  Also, if you take 32E304 loop over to Funnel Lake from the northern side, be ready for fun with baby-head boulders and the disappearing-trail game!  Funnel is the eastern lake; it looks like it is right next to Rocky Bottom but there's a big morain/hill between them!
I wouldn't try to do Coyote Flats from the Big Pine end, but going to Big Pine from Coyote Flats is an "E-ticket" down-hiller! 
It took me maybe some 10 different visits to Coyote Flats to cover all the trails there!  I found a whole bunch of "Easter Eggs" there, including a geocache, etc., etc.! You gonna have fun, Boy!

That red line you mention is 32E305 on my map.

IMG_1497683062.254947.jpg