Crank seal and balancer shaft seal

Can I check to see if these are bad and change them out on an 07 without removing the entire engine? I am hoping I can by taking the side plates/etc. off with the engine to intact on the bike.

Yeah I've done crank seals before all I did was pull the side covers off, if the crank seal between your trany and crank  is bad it will suck trany oil into the base and your oil level will be ridiculously high, it happened to me on my 04 Crf250r, not sure about balancer shaft seals

Edited by crf_robillard

Thanks, that is exactly what is happening. I'm not a mechanic and did not want to tear it all down for no reason. Thanks again!

I put new counter balancer bearings in an 04 x no problem doing it with the motor in the bike. we thought maybe we had a crankshaft problem but the counterbalancer bearings was the noise.

On 6/15/2017 at 4:46 AM, levi18 said:

Thanks, that is exactly what is happening. I'm not a mechanic and did not want to tear it all down for no reason. Thanks again!

I had the tranny oil to engine oil migration and IMO you need to replace both the right side crank seal and left side balancer seal.

Ya I did both in my back yard and you do not have to remove the engine to do them BUT you need at least the full service manual or a Clymer, correct tools, look at the OEM microfiches and be somewhat mechanically inclined.

Heres the OEM list of parts I bought/replaced for about $200 for my 05 if this helps and if you are going this far might as well do at the same time BUT you need to make sure you check these part #'s against the 07 OEM micofiches

Clipboard01_zpslhkzcxdc.JPG.7c93e4644b16b18f0cc51e030159fe05.JPG

• Like 1

filterx, i think about the only special tools i used was an impact gun, torque wrench locktight, and maybe a copper penny but not if i could help it as i really dont like jaming gears and forcing things

Ya I used an impact etc but the key thing is holding the clutch basket which I'm assuming you used a special penny?

IMO most dudes don't have an impact let alone a torque wrench.

clutch thing is no big deal just pull out the plates and fibers and stuff a rag between the hub and the basket, wrap it around a few times then push it in a little tighter with a finger then hit that nut with the impact gun, its a slick little trick that works so good.

• Like 1