Hi guys. I am interested in starting dirtbiking. I have cousins and other relatives who dirt bike and I am moving to an area where it is common to do it. I have ridden four wheelers before and enjoy driving high performance go karts. I am about 4 10 and am torn between a yz85 and an xr100 for a first bike. I wanted a xr100 but my cousin suggested a yz85. I will do both trail and eventually track once I build up some skill. I want a bike that I won't grow out of in 3 months. I am open to other suggestions.

If you're new to dirt bikes the XR/crf100 is a far better bike to learn basic riding skills than the YZ. It's also more reliable and will last for decades with only basic maintenance. That means more time riding and less time wrenching.
I'd get the 100, riding it for a year or so, sell it for what you bought it for, and then get an 85. You'll likely be a better rider for it.

I think it comes down to whether your primary activity with be riding at the MX track or riding trails.  If you're primarily riding at the MX track the YZ is the way to go.  If you're primarily riding trails at your height, personally I'd probably looking at something like a CRF150F.  They are bullet proof tanks and with a few simple Honda approved and recommended modifications (Honda jet kit, silencer baffle removal and airborne baffle removal) make decent power.

Doc

42 minutes ago, motovita said:

Are you an adult, or still growing?

Still growing(Hopefully).

Im pretty short for my age.

How much do you weigh?

Mx bikes don't make very good beginner bikes , and beginners don't race motocross. I've seen many people try and either get hurt or quit because they were intimidated by the bike and got fustrated. At 4'10" even a small wheel 85 class bike will be big for you, the XR/CRF100 will be a few inches lower and more manageable. You need to learn to walk before you run. Go carts and quad skill don't apply to dirt bikes other than possibly understanding the concept of a manual transmission.

Get the XR100, or something similar, now. When you want an MX bike you may be ready for a full size bike anyway.

So start with an xr and then move to a quicker bike?

Yes.
I started when I has 12 on XR100. I rode it for a summer before I made friend's with another kid on a 1984 YZ250. Of course he would just motor right away from me in open fields but I could hold my own in the woods. Riding with a bigger, stronger friend on a bigger, stronger bike forced me to ride harder to keep up. Half way thru the next summer my skills had increased to the point that the suspension was holding me back so I started riding a KX80. Once I got on the 80, my friend lost all advantages he had on his 250 and we were pretty much evenly matched. I rode the KX for another year and half before finally switching to a 125.
  • Like 1

Any 80-150cc fourstroke be great for you. Have big wheel ttr125 for my daughter thing has been great.  I ride it more than her and my big bikes lately it seems lol fun to slow down and go slow sometimes.  But ya a xr100 could last you and still be good re sale or keep for pit bike :thumbsup: I've had xr and Dr 100s for bit bikes over the years both were great. They can take a good beating for sure

• Like 1

100-150cc thumper for sure. The XR was my first bike I LOVED it. 

• Like 2

XR hands down. You can't find a more reliable, consistent machine better to learn on. Low maintenance, nice smooth power delivery, and easy to ride.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By Collin Johnson
      My throttle cable broke right close where it connects to the lever. I ordered one of of Ebay that was the right length and looked similar. When I got it in the mail and compared it to the old one, the "bolt" that screws in to the housing is bigger then the old one so I can't screw it in there. Can someone tell me how I can make it work? I'm including pictures.

• By Drzjosh125
      Today I went riding and was riding terribly. I am faster than most of my friends, but there are two that I just can't seem to keep up with or do the tricks they can do. Anyways, today I was riding with those two friends on railroad rocks and slid out and fell, which I have never done before. I feel like my bike's beating me up and I want to feel like I have more power and balance. I seriously need help on getting faster and more stable. What can I do to ride better and feel more in control? Maybe something's up with my bike which is causing this? But give me your guys riding tips! I need them! Thanks! P.S I also just recently upgraded to a larger, more powerful bike, which is my new YZ250F.

• By Drzjosh125
      I had a disastrous oil change today. I only drained out one of my drain bolts (the one on the back right side of the engine) at first. After draining that one bolt, I put 1 and 1/4 quarts of oil in the bike. And then, "OH CRAP!" I realized I had only drained that reservoir.... I thought maybe if I drained one bolt it would also drain most of the other? But I wasn't taking any chances so I drained out both bolts this time and started over. I then put 1 and 1/4 quarts back in and finished up. I checked the oil level window, and it looks like the oil goes over the window? This bike has no dipstick which sucks. I took the bike for a 10 minute ride and stopped and held it upright and it still looked like it was over the window. Where is the level supposed to be? Is it supposed to be over the window? I don't think I put too much, if I did please let me know. I ALSO CHANGED THE OIL FILTER. Thanks!
    • By spiffness
      For your consideration, our 2006 Yamaha TTR 230. We purchased this motorcycle basically new in 2011. My wife used this bike to learn and fall in love with riding in the dirt. The bike does not have an hour meter, though I'd estimate the bike is sitting somewhere around 50 or 60 hours total during our ownership based off the hour meters on my own bikes and the number of times my wife came riding with the gang. Give me a call or shoot me an email and I'd be happy to explain any and all. Here are the quick details:

Terms of sale:
      Cash Only
      Cash in hand for test rides
      Title is free and clear, no issues
      If you don't have a truck or way of getting it home we can talk about me delivering, I'm open to it.
      Not interested in trades of any kind
      Reason for sale - My wife is ready to step up to a competition off-road motorcycle

Bike details:
      2006 Yamaha TTR 230
      Estimated hours 50-60
      Ready to go, no outstanding maintenance items.  Pictures show bent clutch & brake levers.  I'll replace those before the new owner picks er' up.
      Aftermarket parts and mods:  Seat shaven a bit for shorter riders, clean job - cant tell.  Slightly taller and wider bars than stock.  Bark busters.

Recently maintained items:
      Air filter
      Fuel Filter
      Front & Rear brakes
      Chain
      Sprockets
      Fork Oil
      Oil Change
      Valve clearances just checked and in spec

Text - Phone - Email OK
      Asking $1600
    • By TheVolta
      2006 Honda CRF450X 
      Extremely clean and well maintained 2006 CRF450X
      oil changed after every two rides. Starts right up with no issues.

Upgrade parts list: 
      IMS 3.2g Extended Gas tank 
      Noguchi Seat (Same seat used by HRC Dakar bikes) 
      Renthal Fat Bar
      FMF Powerbomb Header and Pipe
      Highway Dirtbike Guards 
      Renthal Clutch/Hotstart Intellilever
      Renthal Brake Intellilever
      Honda Airbox Mod 
      Speed Cell Lithium Battery 
      Acerbis Skid Plate
      Acerbis
      EK Did Chain and Brand new Sprocket set 
      R&D Flexible Carb adjustment screw
      07+ Headlight Conversion 
      Black Fork Guards 
      OEM and JRC Plastics 
      Spare parts included / original tank / New Rear fender/ OEM Exhaust/ Original Sprocket set/ OEM Bars / Filters

**Willing to adjust price without OEM Handle Bars in place and no HWDB Guards. **
      Paypal and Venmo Accepted.