I've come full circle, back on a 85 CR250R

It was February 1986 my 81 yz125 had seen better days. It was time for a new bike. A neighbor had a friend that was selling a unused 85 CR250R. He only rode the bike at his house to break it in. He was getting a divorce and the bike needed to go. The bike was show room spotless, and for $900 less then a brand new bike from the dealer I had my new bike. Now this wasn't my first bike but it was the bike I really learned to ride on. And ride I did . At 15 all I had to do was go to school and ride my dirt bike. I rode the piss out of that bike until I traded it for a cr500 in July of 87. 

That was 30 years ago. That cr250 had a special place in my heart and I wish that I still had it. We'll it's not the same bike but it is an 85 CR250R and I have one again. The bike needs a few things fix up before it's ready for a real ride. So far I've only ridden it around the house. I have a feeling I'm going to be making new and reliving memories.  

Here is a pic of the new bike and one of me in 1986

20170614_192831.jpg

20170614_200808.jpg

• Like 7

It was February 1986 my 81 yz125 had seen better days. It was time for a new bike. A neighbor had a friend that was selling a unused 85 CR250R. He only rode the bike at his house to break it in. He was getting a divorce and the bike needed to go. The bike was show room spotless, and for $900 less then a brand new bike from the dealer I had my new bike. Now this wasn't my first bike but it was the bike I really learned to ride on. And ride I did . At 15 all I had to do was go to school and ride my dirt bike. I rode the piss out of that bike until I traded it for a cr500 in July of 87. 
That was 30 years ago. That cr250 had a special place in my heart and I wish that I still had it. We'll it's not the same bike but it is an 85 CR250R and I have one again. The bike needs a few things fix up before it's ready for a real ride. So far I've only ridden it around the house. I have a feeling I'm going to be making new and reliving memories.  
Here is a pic of the new bike and one of me in 1986
20170614_192831.jpg.8b5090381c2e528387dc8e06b941c4f3.jpg
20170614_200808.thumb.jpg.c8f32e2580cc2c0090221183249dca18.jpg

Looks sick!

I have wanted to do the same thing for my dad. He rode a 82 kx250 when he was a kid and I have had my eyes out for a good project one for the longest time. We have a 1980 xl185 that my dad had also grown up on and had kept. Still the original owner, but my cousin wrecked it and have been restoring it.

I have always kinda wanted to ride an old 2 stroke. With the development of Pv's my dad says that these modern bikes have crazy wild power now.

14 minutes ago, thetinkerer said:

Looks sick!

I have wanted to do the same thing for my dad. He rode a 82 kx250 when he was a kid and I have had my eyes out for a good project one for the longest time. We have a 1980 xl185 that my dad had also grown up on and had kept. Still the original owner, but my cousin wrecked it and have been restoring it.

I have always kinda wanted to ride an old 2 stroke. With the development of Pv's my dad says that these modern bikes have crazy wild power now.

It took me almost 3 years of looking for an 85. Found a few but were either to expensive or to trashed. These old 2 stroke will surprise you on the power. They have less than the new bikes but enough to get the job done. The power is very usable. Comparing it to my 2017 ktm 250xc i would say bottom end and mid range power is not to far off. Top end the xc kills it.

Good for you! I had numerous 1980's CR's and loved most of them. Team Honda was so powerful and their gear looked great. I believe it still looks good today. Take it out and report back to us. I'm curious to find out if the love is still there.

Edited by Dklassen

That is a sweet looking bike man! I'd love to have on of those old cr's. Honda was really on their A game back then.

Beautiful bike! Looks in very good condition. What did the previous owner say about fixing the clutch/water pump side cover corrosion issue? I believe stock in '85 was magnesium alloy...

• Like 1

Just now, Sofiedog said:

Beautiful bike! Looks in very good condition. What did the previous owner say about fixing the clutch/water pump side cover corrosion issue? I believe stock in '85 was magnesium alloy...

He didn't know what was done to the bike. He bought because he thought it was cool but the bike didn't run, it had no spark. He couldn't figure out what was wrong.  The cdi was bad, the one he bought for a fix was bad also. 

Looking at the side case and the water pump they have been updated with the aluminum ones. They were brand new and you can see the new gaskets. Top end looks like it was recently done too. Very good compression. 

I think someone was trying to restore it at one time. Plastic is all good, new chain and sprockets,  rear tire. For the most part the bike is in really good shape.  The radiators are straight and clean on the inside. Frame is straight with no dents on the underside. From going over the bike it looks like a low hour bike that wasn't thrashed on.

What it needs is new fork seals, rear wheel bearings and a front tire. The rear shock needs a service to. Linkage bearings are a little loose too.

I'm going to go over the bike really good since I have it running now.

44 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

Wow...sounds like a great find...I'm jealous.
You're probably doing it, but didn't mention it, check the state of the steering stem bearings, too.

Funny you mention that, they feel a little gritty. A new set of bearings are on my list. I figured while I have the forks off i will replace them.

I'm not one to skimp and be cheap on a bike. I understand what it takes to make a bike perform. It is neither quick or cheap. I'm figuring on spending about  $600 for what I need for the bike not including the motor. I will tare the motor down this winter and go through it, that will probably be another $1000.

I want this bike to be mechanical sound,  don't have to look perfect but needs to run perfect. There are a couple of offroad races that have a vintage class the bike qualifies for, it going to be raced .

I will end up having more money in to it than what it's worth but I don't care.  I will probably never sell it anyway. 

• Like 3

Update time. Ive done some work on the bike and took it for its first real ride. Replaced both wheel bearings and steering bearings.   Changed the fork oil and added new fork boots and clamps. RePlaced the waterpump seal and bearings. New tires and tubes front and back and a new throttle tube. Bike is starting up 2nd kick cold and is running good.

The ride went well yesterday. Did about 25 miles of singletrack ,yes i said singletrack . Im a woods rider now, no mx tracks for me. I race enduros and Harescrambles so my plan is to use the bike in a vintage class they have for a couple of races. As it stands now it was comfortable riding the bike at a C level pace. With a little work and seat time i think i can push it up to a B level pace. Suspension did surprisingly well . The forks felt good ,maybe just a tad to soft. Rear is definitely too soft. Needs a sevice and a heavier spring. Front brake felt soft and mushy. Needs to be bleed and maybe the caliper needs a rebuild.  Motor ran really good, started right up after stopping. It could use a heavier flywheel weight to slow the hit on the motor. All in all its going to work out really good. One thing else i did was make a spark arrestor for it. The only thing i could buy is a universal fmf. I looked on ebay but couldn't find anything  used. So i took an old kx500 silencer,  cut 5" of the end off and fitted a screen in the end. Then i just slid it over the DG shorty and bolted in on.

20170702_125411.jpg

20170702_125426.jpg

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 4

Wow..bike's looking good...sounds like you've got it running well, already...great find.

Silencer looks like it should hold up okay...Probably could use rivets to hold the cans together, too.

2 hours ago, Sofiedog said:

Wow..bike's looking good...sounds like you've got it running well, already...great find.

Silencer looks like it should hold up okay...Probably could use rivets to hold the cans together, too.

I used the same screws that held the DG silencer end cap on.  It's not going anywhere. It can be removed and put back on quickly if needed. 

I ended up blowing the rear shock seal. The shock is in for a rebuild now , hopefully have it back I a couple of weeks. It will give me time to go over a few more things on the bike. 

October 1st I'm taking the cr250 to a local harescramble race. They have a pre 86 class or what they call a vintage class. Hopefully no other major problems come up before then.

Sounds fun...officially, AHMRA vocabulary says 1974 and earlier are "vintage"...I use the term "post-vintage" for 1975 and on...some folks seem sensitive about using the "vintage" term too broadly...I also see the term "Evo" or "Evolution" used for the early single shock bikes up to about '88...after that, to me, bikes are essentially "modern".

Our Vintage MX club has tried various Post-vintage categories. I'm a newbie to the club and MX racing, but it seems pretty fair.

Last season they had the '75-'77 bikes in a class called GP1...RMs, CR's, and early monoshock YZs. These are air cooled, drum brakes, twin shocks or non-linkage mono-shock.

GP2 class was '78-'81 bikes. You see the 2nd gen YZ monoshocks, the aluminum swingarm RMs, and the long travel Red Rocket CRs.

GP3 class was '82-'83 bikes...drum brakes, water cooling, progressive link rear...the '83 CRs are pretty common.

GP4 class was '84-'88...long travel forks, progressive link shock, disc brakes, water cooling, power valves...etc

I suspect you will see something similar with your races. Sometimes we were grouped with other classes in a moto, but only scored against our own class...

Being a Novice, I just wanted to experience the excitement of racing and had no expectations of finishing out front. I got hooked. It is exciting. The other thing I found out was that having a race schedule helped me get motivated in the garage and kept me going on a schedule to get the work and tuning done...

The race in October is the only one in the series that has an older bike class. One class for bikes 86 and older thats it. They call it vintage I don't. It is an exhibition class only no points given in the series. 

They have an mx series locally that have the different categories. But I have no interest racing mx again. I race our enduro series and do some of the harescambles.  

getting close to October...that '85 should be a very competitive ride in an '86 and older class...and a very fun bike to ride...My first MX race of the season is in October, too...I've been trying to get in riding shape...

6 hours ago, Sofiedog said:

getting close to October...that '85 should be a very competitive ride in an '86 and older class...and a very fun bike to ride...My first MX race of the season is in October, too...I've been trying to get in riding shape...

I thinking of taking the IT490 instead. Im working on both bikes at the moment.  The CR needs the jetting sorted out. Im not to happy with 1/4 throttle and under. Im fitting up a newer Keihin PWK short body air striker that came off a ktm. Had to buy a new throttle,  will have it tomorrow.  The new carb has a lot better idle circuit and i have tons of needles that i can try. I had to have the shock rebuilt too so im still tunning the suspension.  

Hopefully i can get into riding shape myself.  I missed an enduro race this last Sunday.  A little over a week ago i was loading a bike in the back of the truck. The rear tire came off the ramp and somehow put the handle bar in my ribs. F't me up pretty bad. Didn't brake any rib but bruised them up . Cant ,cough,  sneeze or lay on my left side without pain. I should be good by October 1st.

1 hour ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I thinking of taking the IT490 instead. Im working on both bikes at the moment.  The CR needs the jetting sorted out. Im not to happy with 1/4 throttle and under. Im fitting up a newer Keihin PWK short body air striker that came off a ktm. Had to buy a new throttle,  will have it tomorrow.  The new carb has a lot better idle circuit and i have tons of needles that i can try. I had to have the shock rebuilt too so im still tunning the suspension.  

Hopefully i can get into riding shape myself.  I missed an enduro race this last Sunday.  A little over a week ago i was loading a bike in the back of the truck. The rear tire came off the ramp and somehow put the handle bar in my ribs. F't me up pretty bad. Didn't brake any rib but bruised them up . Cant ,cough,  sneeze or lay on my left side without pain. I should be good by October 1st.

Not to interrupt, just an FYI, You may have some issues with that Airstriker. I bought a used one off a KTM SX , 38mm to mount on my 500af, I spent about 3 days on jetting, and never did get it to breathe right. I think KTM had specific features on them. I have a brand new one on my 87' OEM and it works perfect, Upshot was I messed with this thing for 3 days and finally swapped out a brand new AS, Boom ! it runs perfect. Like I said just a word.

Got the carb in. Took it for a quick test spin and it definitely ran better. The carb i used is one i had since new. It was on my 14 200xcw. I used the same jetting specs that you would on a 250 ktm. I am using a JD blue needle, 40 pilot and a 168 main. I didn't even have to adjust the idle. From what i could tell it idles better, a lot cleaner and crisper in the bottom end and smoother transition hitting the power band. Looks like what i was after. I will give the bike a good ride this weekend.

• Like 1