Looped my Drz400SM, repair advice please

Hey what's up everyone, this is my first post as well as my first time looping a motorcycle (hopefully the last).

I was practicing clutching up in 2nd gear, and got up to 35 and then got cocky with the throttle and looped my dang bike.  :lame:no serious injuries other than really bruised knees covered with road rash. I was able to ride home luckily. I feel foolish but a good wheelie is &%$#@!ing fun. However my ride just isn't the same. I need a new tail light, I can figure out this much :lol:

I'm having a hard time figuring out of my handle bar mount has been damaged or the handle bars themselves. I have pro taper contours (1.25in) which are pretty rigid but 35 isn't exactly a low speed crash. One bar end is completely missing and the throttle sleeve is shit. Forks maybe need to be adjusted as well as front wheel balance?  I have some photos if  y'all could help me decide what I got to do to get back riding.  Thanks everyone! Be safe.

2015 Drz400sm mods:

JD jet kit, 3x3, full yoshi rs2, pro taper contours 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just from photo, handle bars look bent.  Forks look okay.  If the wheel spins true, it is likely ok.  Bar mounts hardly ever get ruined. But if you aren't sure, have it checked at a shop.   Bark busters would protect bar ends, grips, throttle sleeve and levers.  Get some knee guards, elbow gards, and never ride without gloves or helmet.  Oh yeah.  Until you get experienced, only practice wheelies on dirt or grass, and at slower speed.  Good luck!

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 1

Oops!  After posting the above, I noticed that is a street bike.  Getting a wheelie on dirt or grass with a street tire might be a little tricky.

New bars and new tailight.  Tail lights range from the $30 ebay special to the Yosh and TST Industries $100+ options.  

Worst case maybe you will need to loosen fork clamps and see if everything is pointing in the right direction? 

Mike

• Like 1

3rd degree time - .. well it 'was' a nice bike .. fix everything you fcked up including the scuffed fenders and protectors ect .. add up the cost and ask yourself if goofing off to impress someone is worth it .. im guessing only two people in the entire world were impressed by your 500$+ wheelie .. 'you' and the 9 year old kid in the back of his moms grocery getter ...

29 minutes ago, cowpie said:

3rd degree time - .. well it 'was' a nice bike .. fix everything you fcked up including the scuffed fenders and protectors ect .. add up the cost and ask yourself if goofing off to impress someone is worth it .. im guessing only two people in the entire world were impressed by your 500$+ wheelie .. 'you' and the 9 year old kid in the back of his moms grocery getter ...

But that kid in the back of moms car grows up to be travis pastrana.....

worth it!

• Like 1

Looks like the bars may be twisted in the tree rubbers. I'd take bars and risers apart through the tree and reassemble 1st before you spend $$ on new bars just to make sure. Put some handguards and new grips n never see the bar damage. Worth a try never know. 

As above.  The bars are fine the mounts are twisted.

@cowpie

For the record, I was by myself on a weekend in an industrial area with zero spectators. I also did not state that I approve of my actions or that they be replicated. I do reserve the right to ride my bike how I want to, with my time. Regardless, thanks? You have a big heart. 

Everybody else thanks for the input! 

On 8/3/2017 at 0:47 PM, cowpie said:

the 9 year old kid in the back of his moms grocery getter ...

You never know... he might put in a good word with his mother for you...

Tire looks out of line with you bars I'd loosen and line that back up ( bars go right tire goes left) let the tube clamps of just enough to line it back up

Sent from my SM-G950W using ThumperTalk mobile app

Did the same on my bike but I needed a new subframe and my plastics are all mangled. I still cant get my bars straight. I just realigned the forks and front end or atleast tried too. Took the whole front wheel off and reset everything as best I could. People say on dirt bikes you should do that as habit after any spill.

On mine I think the problem lays in the lower handle bar clamp. I believe the bolt that goes through the triple is bent on mine. As it is hard to get the old stock and/or new zeta rubber killers through that bolt. Works fine on the muffler side bolt. Now i'm not sure if its just the bolt or the lower triple or a combo of both or something else on top but having worked on a decent about of motor vehicles I don't think thats how it should be but I am not 100% certain.