Whats the value of my 1 owner 83 XL600R

I'm the original owner. I bought it brand new off the Honda dealers show room floor as a closeout in 1984. It has 9000 all street miles on it. Never used off road. Always stored inside. Starts and runs fine. Looks very nice. All original condition. Did some carb work last year found the sputter/ backfire and only wanted to idle on choke problem was a pin hole in the (ACV) Air Cutoff Valve Diaphram.  I put in a aftermarket ACV  Now its been running fine since that repair. What do you all think it's worth $.  I'm getting a little old for riding nowadays.  My eye site ain't what it should be.  

Nada guides says in excellent condition $2,500 in Ca...
I Recently picked up a 85 xl600r with 8,400 miles looks very nice for $1,500 came with extra set of street wheels and new dirt tires. Here in ca you can get $2,500 if your patient but a quick sell $1,700-2,100

Throw it on Craigslist with a high price tag & you can always come down, but very hard to go up! Sorry to hear you might get rid of it, but beware, you might grow older faster NOT riding.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2017 at 11:33 AM, bork said:

Throw it on Craigslist with a high price tag & you can always come down, but very hard to go up! Sorry to hear you might get rid of it, but beware, you might grow older faster NOT riding.

High price tags keep people like me from even looking.  Put a reasonable price on the thing.  I can't tell you what reasonable is, but I can get a decent XR650L for $2500 or liess, so I don't know why someone would pay that much for a ten+ year older bike.  If you really want to actually sell the bike, price it in the $1500-$1800 range.  Then drop the price a hundred bucks a week until it hits the price where someone feels it is a good deal and buys it.

(Just my opinion.)

• Like 1

I'd watch ebay and craigs list to see what other bikes of that vintage are going for.

On an vintage bike condition is everything.

Most on/off bikes from the 80's aren't worth that much.

25 minutes ago, beezer said:

On an vintage bike condition is everything.

Most on/off bikes from the 80's aren't worth that much.

Popularity is more important than condition, but condition is important too.  If it were a 1983 Ducati of any sort, or a 1983 Honda V45 Interceptor, there would be good demand.  There are likely very few people looking for an old Honda XL (as your second point notes).

• Like 1

I think people over use the word ''vintage'' in most cases.  Old or low production numbers DOES NOT a collectible make. It's a 34 year old bike that was milquetoast when it was new.

• Like 1

I think people over use the word ''vintage'' in most cases.  Old or low production numbers DOES NOT a collectible make. It's a 34 year old bike that was milquetoast when it was new.

Out of curiosity Joe, why would you say it was "milquetoast when it was new"? The 83/84 XL6 (non cali) was and still is the highest horsepower RFVC honda ever made. It dominated it's class at the time and the motor was frequently swapped into the xr500 chassis for desert racing to create the original xr600r.

Are you referring to the chassis?

The chassis AND the motor. Until the late 90's ,  thumpers had the performance tune of a lawnmower and paled in comparison to a 2-stroke.

Ive seen some for $3,500.00 on craigslist, supposedly restored. Dont know if it ever sold or not and how much. Some people are nuts for them.  Tinruddersar is orig owner, probably not molested & 9k miles aint bad. If I was in market for one, I'd cal Tin... & probably try to run it down, to get it as cheap as possible. BUT  If I had the $, I'd probably jump at it, and $3000 would be easily justified.  Sure you might get a newer clean 650L, but they are more common, I think it would be cool to cruise up to a meet/gathering on a clean original vintage ride. In some states a special tag is issued & no vehicle inspection required.

People ask retarded prices for these old bikes,,,absolutely nuts.......  and they often get that price too:lol:

older people remember a friend or somebody that had one,,it was the coolest thing they can remember,and now that they are older with a fist full of disposable income,,they are buying back their childhood memories and reliving them the best they can..

ask at least 3 grand,get the bike detailed so it really shines....it`ll sell

Never sell a bike dirty as hell....... would you sell a car looking dirty and expect top dollar????????

B

Old bike is vintage. Meaning either someone buys it to just ride, in which case it it is probably worth less than a grand or a collector buys it because it is complete aand pristine and pays double book value.

Hi friends. Thanks for all the input and comments. The bike is clean and still starts and runs fine. I still want to sell it but as of yet I have never listed it anywhere for sale. When I do advertise it I will be offering it with a like new hydraulic motorcycle jack which the bike is stored on so the tires are off the ground. Also included is the original tool kit, the original owners manual and the Honda factory service manual and a Haynes repair manual.

Also at the time I did the carb work I located and paid a dear price ($65 + shipping) for a NOS  drive chain slider from a Honda dealer down in Texas as the old slider was age deteriorated and was coming apart and about to allow that chain to rub on the swing arm. The chain slider also allows for the proper adjustment of the chain tension. At that time I replaced a lot of little stuff that I noticed had gotten old and while the parts were still available like the little rubber grommets on the skid plate for instance. I have always changed the oil/filter every 1000 miles and changed it  again recently since the bike is in storage so much and fresh oil is supposed to keep the Stator windings in good shape. All in all the bike is like new considering its age.

Nine thousand pampered street miles, original owner, always stored inside with gas and oil maintained during storage. It doesn't get any better than this IMHO. IMG_3827.JPG.36d843b62ab082ac21decd11b61ae03c.JPGIMG_3828.JPG.5479249efd90642f9c00ba5a0062929f.JPGIMG_3829.JPG.d9bb1868cb7980402bd1eac726307fdd.JPGIMG_3830.JPG.7bf47ecb353260a26fc083a79c012ae4.JPGWhat do you guys think?

• Like 3

That bike is much cleaner than my XR650L, but I ride in the dirt quite a bit, trying to get it dirty.

Don't bother including any unrelated thing like the jack when you go to sell it.  Sell that separately.  Don't even include it in photos of the bike.  If including it can make the difference for an interested buyer, you might include it, but extra unrelated stuff like that has never been a plus when I've been looking at motorcycles to buy.  The same goes with helmets and riding gear.

I still think those were better than the new xr650l they sell now. At least it was lighter and more powerful. Somebody will jump on it. eBay may be the best bet, you get a wider audience.

• Like 1