Wr250f help. Backfire and Hard Start.

I was wondering if it is normal for a WR250F to backfire a lot like 10-15 times in 15 seconds while decelerating and shifting down. Also, it is very hard to start after it dies. 4/5 of the time I can't kickstart it with or without choke or hot start. Any ideas

Sounds like it is time to check the valves.  Hard starting is a signal the valves clearances need checked and, or adjusted.

• Like 1

Sounds like it is time to check the valves.  Hard starting is a signal the valves clearances need checked and, or adjusted.

I'm not experienced in motors. Is that a hard thing to do or should I just take it to a shop?

If this problem did not exist before and just started happening id say valves. Also if the bike sat and then this problem came Id say carb issues but its a good idea to check valves anyways. If you plan on owning a four stroke for a while, Id learn how to check valves and adjust them. Checking them is fairly simple adjusting is a little complicated but if you know simple math its not not bad. Just get a service manual read the steps a bunch of times and then do them with a service manual right there just take your time and pay close attention to what your doing. Also if you do it your self make sure to torque the cam caps/covers.

If this problem did not exist before and just started happening id say valves. Also if the bike sat and then this problem came Id say carb issues but its a good idea to check valves anyways. If you plan on owning a four stroke for a while, Id learn how to check valves and adjust them. Checking them is fairly simple adjusting is a little complicated but if you know simple math its not not bad. Just get a service manual read the steps a bunch of times and then do them with a service manual right there just take your time and pay close attention to what your doing. Also if you do it your self make sure to torque the cam caps/covers.

We just bought the bike a couple weeks ago and went riding for the first time on it. The seller said check valves in 20 hours and it has probably ran for 5-6 since we bought it. My friend knows how to do maintenance so I will get his help to check the valves.

DO you have a manual for it on how to adjust them ?

Yes but I don't know if I feel comfortable adjusting them. I don't really know motors that well and I don't want to screw something up.