yz250fx bar position/mounting holes help.

Hello, I have been searching forums and youtube for handle bar position tips/idea and have got a lot of info. What I'm missing is info on bar mount holes. On my fx I have 4 available options. 2 set of holes + I can 180 the mounts to change offset. So I am a beginner rider, most of the riding around where I live is steep,root,slick single track. I'm 5'11, and still haven't found a proper riding position. I seem to be always fighting the bike as if the bike is going where it wants and I'm just for the ride. I stand 90% of the time a habbit I got for riding downhill mtb. The harder I try to be in a forward position I end up being behind the bars holding on way to tight. Which leads to me being stiff and trying to muscle the bike around. 

So I want to try and figure out a proper natural bar position so I can work on my body position and not worry about the bars. I have tried so many different bar positions on the bike that I can't tell the difference. My goal is to be able to ride and be light on the bars and work along with the bike not being 1 step behind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

common sense tell us the further forward your bars the more weight will be placed on the front end, the better traction you'll have in corners. judging by your preference to stand, as well as your height, i would put the bars at position 3, which is the forward hole with the mounts pointed rearward.  of course this is mostly all personal preference, which is why i additionally suggest you just pick a position, and not think too much about it after that;  just ride the bike and get used to it.  overthinking it will drive you crazy, focus on other things if the bike is not handling well. bar position is only one of many dimensions that contribute to bike handling.  

i prefer position 2 on ktms and yamahas and setup more for mx, but i use a very low bar bend and sit a lot.

good luck.

Edited by DRS
  • Like 2

Right on, position 3 is was I have kinda ended up on. What really made me start to wonder about bar position is because on my last ride my buddy and I swapped bikes for a bit and he has a kx250f and the only bar adjustment he has is the ability to roll the bars. For some odd reason his bike felt light and nimble while mine feels like a heavy yacht. 

Position 4. You are not a short guy and if you ride tight trail and single track that bike needs you as far over the front wheel as you can to get it to turn.

I feel short being 5'11. Bikes are really made for jockeys eh. When I first got the bike I had it in position 4 and it felt pretty good I just didn't want to start off learning with a bad position. Started hearing all about having the bars in the middle of the forks and what not. The comfortable  position might not be the right one. 

I'm 5' 10 and a bit, and I prefer position 3 the most. Position 4 was ok for standing (I primarily stand) but it took a notable more amount of effort to steer the bike. Position 3 was the best happy medium.

Came across a post about a book on kindle called the art of trail riding. There is a section I read about setting up the bar for a standing rest position that also allows for a attack position to. I tried what the book described and I ended up on the second position. First set of holes with the mounts rotated towards the front of the bike. Position 1 covers the stem nut and position 2 leaves a 1/4 of the stem nut showing towards the rear of the bike. The book says to stand up and not to stretch,with a slight break of the hips and head in a parallel line with the forks. put your hands out and see where the bar should land with out stretching for it. Position 1 had a little more relax resting position but felt cramped if I was to crouch down and be aggressive so I thought id try position 2. I want to get out and ride tomorrow, try some slow riding drills and see if I can keep the weight off the bars. Thanks for reply guys I will post up my results if I get out. I do think it should come with seat time.  

At your height you should probably be at position 3 or 4. These Yamahas with the reverse motors are light on the front end so you really have to ride over the front of the bike to get them to turn. The farther forward you can ride, the better.

Use your legs more to control the bike. Grip the bike with your legs/knees and try not to death grip the bars so much. Weight and de/weight your foot pegs to initiate turns instead of just steering with your arms. 

Set the bike up for your optimal attack position. 

Edited by Kosmic