Salvage DRZ400 sm

hello, I'm a new member to the forum. I have recently purchased a 2017 drz400sm at auction with a salvage title. It appears the bike was in a front end collision of some sort, the triple clamp at the top is broken, and the header took a hit when the front tire hit it. At least that's what I gather from the damage. I'm hoping to fix this bike and have it road going sometime this summer. Is this a simple job of replacing the triple clamps and header and maybe the forks as well? If I do replace the whole fork/clamp assembly, will any drz400 sm inverted forks and clamps do or has there been updates to the design within the last decade or so? Any other insight before I start to buy some used parts would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is where the whole front end broke loose

0hn6d2d.jpg?1

This is where the header took a hit

5oRu5fT.jpg

The forks look fine, I'm hoping there is a chance I won't need to replace them. I'll try to evaluate if they're re-usable somehow

QmeRDWp.jpg

The rest of the bike appears to be in really good shape!

s9Bx4MP.jpg

Edited by sm_canuck

I see you're in Canada, willing to share what you paid for this bad boy?

2 hours ago, sm_canuck said:

has there been updates to the design within the last decade or so?

Have there been updates to the design, he says! HAHA!

Make sure the frame is good and just replace parts as needed. Forks can look straight but sometimes may not be. Some shops have tools for checking this.

that bike looks brand new ... i'd look at those forks over a straight edge once theyre out and if they look good i'd order new parts from an oem parts house for your specific year .. i wouldnt put ebay used garbage on it unless the forks turn out bent, those would be prohibitively expensive new ...

Edited by cowpie

Dont know how anyone can tell the forks are ok looking at one photo like that - anyway there are heaps of OEM triple clamps for sale on ebay

4 hours ago, Atolduso said:

I see you're in Canada, willing to share what you paid for this bad boy?

$4400

18 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Dont know how anyone can tell the forks are ok looking at photo like that - anyway there are heaps of OEM triple clamps for sale on ebay

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Have there been updates to the design, he says! HAHA!

Make sure the frame is good and just replace parts as needed. Forks can look straight but sometimes may not be. Some shops have tools for checking this.

I'm guessing sourcing the triple clamp from a '00 drz400sm will be fine then? I'll get used ones as I dont see them wearing out for any reason.

And the forks honestly look and feel fine. They're so beefy and so is the frame neck that I'm not surprised the aluminum triple clamp blew before anything else. I'll try them out on the road before I try any sort of shop. If I notice something while riding I'll end up taking them in

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cowpie said:

that bike looks brand new ... i'd look at those forks over a straight edge once theyre out and if they look good i'd order new parts from an oem parts house for your specific year .. i wouldnt put ebay used garbage on it unless the forks turn out bent, those would be prohibitively expensive new ...

New triple clamps are $900.. you can get them off ebay for half that.

Not sure why you're saying used items off ebay are "garbage" but I've bought triples for multiple bikes and they're fine

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dramabeats said:

Not sure why you're saying used items off ebay are "garbage" but I've bought triples for multiple bikes and they're fine

thats right - i mean if you think about it - the rest of the bike is used anyway :banghead: