Good tire for Colorado

Hey guys. Time for me to get a new rear tire. This being my second year riding in Colorado I wanted to see what the CO veterans are riding. I did a search but all the threads are a few years old and I know tire options have changed a little. I live in Longmont and will be making trips to both Rampart and Red Feather Lakes regularly, with at least one trip to Taylor park and two trips a year to Moab. I know Moab is a little different but just thought I'd mention it. The tire being good here is most important. I'd say I'm an intermediate to expert rider who can be hard on the throttle. I don't have money for new tires all the time so looking for something with good ware time even if that means sacrificing a little traction. Was just about to order a Dunlop MX52 but am worried it'll be too hard in the loose gravel so wanted to see if anyone has one. Also looking at the Dunlop AT81, the Maxxis Max cross (not sure which model would be best) and the cheapest option IRC VE33 enduro. So opinions on these and other tires would be great. Also my front only has 30% or so left so if you have experience with the matching fronts to these tires that would be helpful too.

Thanks

Kenda Washougal 2 is a great all around tire.  My son has them on his CRF450R and loves them.  The dual compound rubber in the lugs makes it work in different types of terrain.

http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/mxoff-road/washougal-ii/

BTW, my other son has the Dunlop MX52 on his CRF450R and hates it.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Kenda Track master II rear has done my 525exc well in those scenarios, plus it's DOT and it wears well.

I've been happy with D606 rear/MT21 front. 

Not the "best" in all conditions but it's predictable everywhere I've put it (dirt, rocks, highway, water, even snow), gets good life, and DOT-legal. 

DSC_3774_-L.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at those. My klx450r is street legal but that is mostly for my supermoto set. I'm not too worried about DOT legal but am occasionally on the street for a short stent. My wife has a trackmaster II on her bike. It seems like a good tire but as a very beginner rider she can't really give me any feedback on it. I do remember having to order one size larger because kendas run narrow. Sure enough it was identical to the smaller dunlop. Any others?

I you want a true knobby that is still a DOT legal tire there is no better tire than the Kenda Parker DT.  I've been running them for a couple years, the wear is fantastic and the traction is excellent.  No report on the pavement manners since my bike is not street legal.  It uses the excellent Carlsbad pattern and is 6 ply...virtually flat proof.

http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/mxoff-road/parker-dt/

I currently run the Dunlop MS3 on front and back. I tried the the 52s and was not a fan. The front was a lot different and did not work well in the loose gravel areas of Rampart. I thought the 52s would hold up a lot better than the S3. They held up a little longer but not enough to make up for the worse handling. The back had a little less traction and drive in loose terrain but a little more on hardpack.
I ride about 50/50 track and trail so I'm sticking with the MS3 on both wheels but a great combo for you might be a MS3 on the front and a 52 on the rear.
These will work pretty well for most of what you mentioned but will be pretty poor on slickrock type terrain.

I you want a true knobby that is still a DOT legal tire there is no better tire than the Kenda Parker DT.  I've been running them for a couple years, the wear is fantastic and the traction is excellent.  No report on the pavement manners since my bike is not street legal.  It uses the excellent Carlsbad pattern and is 6 ply...virtually flat proof.
http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/mxoff-road/parker-dt/

You have pimped these so damn hard you should get profit sharing! I will be getting some for my next set, been running MX52 fronts and Kenda Trackmaster rears. I hope they work on wet stuff too!

13 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

You have pimped these so damn hard you should get profit sharing! I will be getting some for my next set, been running MX52 fronts and Kenda Trackmaster rears. I hope they work on wet stuff too!

LOL, you would think I'm getting a kickback. :p For the 1st time in all the years I am truly impressed with a tire.  They're not for everyone, as thick and heavy as they are I don't think they air down and mold around stuff that well, but that's not usually the way I ride anyway.

• Like 1

Well I had to order late last night to have it in time for my next ride so didn't get to see you post on the parker DT. With what you've said I will keep it in mind for next time. I don't really care about DOT and most of those tires didn't seem aggressive enough. Except the trakmaster which I was worried was too soft for a 450 on the rocks. Yours and others reviews scared me away from the mx52s. The washougals seem really good but was having trouble finding them for a good price. Finally just went with the pirelli scorpion xc. The price was good $75 and the reviews were great. If I like it I'll order the front. If not I'll check out the parker or try to find the washougal. Thanks everyone. I'll give my thoughts after the first ride.  

• Like 1

Longtime Dunlop guy who converted to Maxxis in maybe 2005, and now converted to IRC- the VE33/35 have been consistent, last longer than the Maxxis Desert IT, and don't chunk. I somehow manage to shear side knobs off the Maxxis and the same abuse on the IRC set shows no wear. running at 12psi, in terrain ranging from loamy decomposed granite like Rampart/Woodland Park, , to sharp edge rocks in Taylor Park, to slick rock and sandy conditions in Rabbit Valley

Every bike I own has the IRC on them now. 

I'm all over the shinko 505 cheater these days. I'm not sure it would work well for guys who ride everything like an mx track, but if you ride with minimal tire spin and don't brake slide into every corner it's a stunning choice. the grip is stunning. 

Get a trials tire, you won't regret it.  Great trail tire, DOT legal, the only thing it doesn't do well is mud.  

LOL, you would think I'm getting a kickback. For the 1st time in all the years I am truly impressed with a tire.  They're not for everyone, as thick and heavy as they are I don't think they air down and mold around stuff that well, but that's not usually the way I ride anyway.

Probably a bitch to mount. Like the wife.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Probably a bitch to mount. Like the wife.

I took them to a local independent shop that charges a very reasonable price. ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joetroop30 said:

Get a trials tire, you won't regret it.  Great trail tire, DOT legal, the only thing it doesn't do well is mud.  

a good trials tire will not be DOT legal. there are also plenty of reasons trials tires suck also, the moral of the story is that there is no holy frail of tire.

riding style and terrain are the two biggest factors in what works well for you. two riders on the same trails can have very differentchoices based on individual priorities.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2017 at 11:53 AM, Bryce418 said:

a good trials tire will not be DOT legal. there are also plenty of reasons trials tires suck also, the moral of the story is that there is no holy frail of tire.

riding style and terrain are the two biggest factors in what works well for you. two riders on the same trails can have very differentchoices based on individual priorities.

I completely agree that riding style and terrain are the biggest considerations, and there is no Holy Grail of tire.  I've had several different trials tires on different bikes over the years and thought they were a good all around tire, except in mud.  Lots of people must agree, because I see trials tires on so many bikes all over UT and CO.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TE300 said:

I've been using the Sedona MX907 and the Shinko 505 Hybrid Cheater for the past couple of years: http://www.sedonatires.com/product/mx907  & http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/505-hybrid-cheater

I have a fresh 907 based on Slaven's recommendation on his website. Thought I would give it a whirl. So far so good, but I haven't really gotten any mountain single track on it yet.  Next tire up on the rear will be the IRC M5B to give that a whirl.   Last tire was a 505 cheater, not for me. Where I ride the most, right by my house, is temperate low-land, lots of organics mixed with metamorphic rock in places. The Shinko does fine on all the roots and stuff, but IMO the knobs are too small for dry, loose dirt and too small for slippery mud. They work good when the grip in the soil is there.

• Like 1

I've considered trials tires in the past for the rock grip but don't think theyre best for me. I'm definitely a slide it in and spin it out kinda guy......in the corners that is. 

I'll report back on this Perelli and let you know. If I like it I'll by the matching front. If not I'm gonna give the IRCs a try.