Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a cheap replacement for the stock DRZ400sm gas cap. Zeta has one but it requires the inners from the original. I bought another gas tank to use for the woods but it didnt come with a gas cap. Looking for something inexpensive that i wont have to use the inners from my other cap for. I just cant bring myself to spend the 100+ on one off of ebay. I dont care if it locks or not either?

Any ideas????

So you bought another S/SM tank? Should have gotten an E model tank, or an aftermarket, they never have locking caps. I would buy a used S/SM cap, one without a key would be cheaper, or shitty dented tank, and strip it to use the Zeta. The street legal models all came with locking caps, and the mechanism inside requires the 'inners' to work. They're not just threads like the E or aftermarket ones usually are. 

I haven't looked into the Zeta before, but if you say they require the stock parts to work, I'll trust you. Also be careful to buy the right year, and the non-California model tanks. There are several types of stock caps.

Edited by HansLanda

Yeah i think an old shitty tank may be the way to go. I havent been able to find any sm caps without a lock. Do you know of any?

I ended up getting the tank and all the plastics for less than 90 bucks from someone to use as my woods set so I couldnt say no to the deal, or else i would have gotten a plastic tank for the woods.

Thanks for the reply

Try to find some local partouts, I couldn't find any on ebay but I've seen them there occasionally.

Yeah I will just have to keep hunting. I have seen a few people with random caps so in desperation I am shooting messages through ebay to them

I wound up using an actual gas cap for a car I bought at an auto parts store for around 10 bucks. I measured the inside diameter of the tank hole and then found one that would fit, I did have to shave down the screw parts on the gas cap some but mine twists in place and doesn't leak even on its side.  Its definitely not the right way to do it but my goal is to replace with a plastic tank when I find the deal that I'm looking for. Till then what I'm running works fine for me. 

20170529_200349.jpg

20160607_212047.jpg

Thats an awesome idea I wish I thought of that weeks ago. I only really need the extra cap for the tank thats not being used so that will work perfectly. Thank you very much!!

I remember reading that there is a gas cap on Honda 5k watt generators that will fit the stock metal tank. It's the silver metal gas cap version.

Also worth mentioning that while the zeta cap does require oem cap internals to work it is possible to create the latching mechanism with some basic tools and nuts and bolts. The down side though is sourcing the gasket. I could not find the needed gasket size anywhere.