Circa June of 2010

So while I was pulling the carb main jet as it's fat for 7k++ altitude I noticed this on my bike.  Granted I just pulled it out of storage so who knows how long it was cracked..  Talked to FMF and they said they have redesigned the mount a few times over the years and by the numbers on mine and recollection it looks to be made around June of 2010.  New ones look like they added another layer of metal (probably 0.045" thick as the pipe is that thick already) and welded the mount to that piece, at least that's what I can discern from looking at the website pictures.  If you're using one from that era then take a peek from underneath for soot... 

FMF's only recourse if yours is out of warranty is to offer a 30% discount on a new one, still that's a little over $300 bucks, so first I'm going to try welding this one up.  FYI it's 0.045" 308L stainless steel and I'm going to try flux core SS wire on it :)  Going to get to use a flap disc to do some cleanup afterwards unless I blow big holes in the pipe :jawdrop:

20170615_122658.jpg

20170615_173441.jpg

20170615_120720.jpg

Wont it just crack again after you weld it ?

Maybe wrap something around these 2 spots after you weld it to strengthen it :excuseme:

P.jpg

• Like 1

If it were me , I'd stop drill it. cut off mount, take it to a professional to weld(unless your one), grind it down smooth & slide a sleeve over it, and spot weld on, and the re-weld on the mount.

PS, does a magnet stick to it? If yes, you could magnaflux it, to look for other cracks.

308L SS is normally non-magnetic.  I already have some 0.045" SS 308L sheet metal from practicing to weld on in preparation to welding some o2 bungs on a yosh exhaust so I was going to try and bend some of that around the pipe there to add another layer then weld the nut/bracket to that after I mount the rest of it to the bike and wiggle it a bit to find where it wants to rest at so there would be less stress on the mount.  I already stitched up the whole crack with the 308L flux core wire still in my spool gun from the aforementioned o2 project.  If all else fails I can use one of these but would have to switch out the nut for the proper size.. 

http://a.co/epxUgAk 

I have all the materials already so I was going to give it a try and I can always dress up the weld with a flap disc :)  Trouble with flux core you're suppose to run it dcep which gives more penetration,.. exactly what you don't want with thin sheet metal, so you have to hit it and let it cool a sec and hit it again and cool, like many many tack welds.  To do "proper" mig SS you are supposed to use a tri-mix "magic" gas which they won't fill a small cylinder with (something over 120 cf or so is the minimum size and you use the gas around a 20 cf/hour so that would be way too much for me to ever justify buying to use so I'm playing with the flux core which apparently no one ever writes tips on settings for..)

3 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Wont it just crack again after you weld it ?

Maybe, not sure how long it's been cracked for, I did drop it on that side three times in a short distance on one ride when I was trying to go up a super rocky trail at Hatchers pass in alaska a few years ago.  Stupid large round rocks didn't give any traction and I was using my wife's drzs factory deathwing on the rear to use it up..  That and a 3500 mile trip from AK to WI and then hauling butt at 60+ down hundreds of miles of gravel roads in ND for the past two years.  

• Like 1