Battery draining

2015 CRF 230F

So i was out for a ride two weeks ago and rode 10+ hours in two days, came home, washed the bike as normal and put it away. 

went out to start it up to go out this weekend and nothing, the ignition relay just chatters, got my voltmeter and read 9.5 volts, go through as much as the wiring as i can see and cant find any shorts or rubbed wires, put my meter in line with the positive and check for current draw and its all zeros.

charged my battery up with my honda trickle charger over night, started it today and checked the battery voltage while running and climbed from 12.7 to 14.1 like normal,  rode a quick little lap to get some good load on the battery and still sitting at 14.1 like it should be. going to leave it sit for a few hours tonight and check again. (key is always off and out of the bike).

bike has been snorkel removed, baffle out and jetted but no other lights or anything has been done to it.

question is, is there a known electrical problem with some of these bikes? stator seems to be putting out properly, i cant check running charge current (my meter is fused at 10A)

this is the second battery i have put in it in a year, getting tired of buying batteries (yes there are the same OEM brand i keep buying)

my wife rides the same model and year bike and hers sits all winter and only rides a few times a year and always starts.

any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Edited by dtw4

We have two CRF230s and the batteries lasted for many years.  I have left my key on for months with no impact on battery.

I suggest you put an ammeter in series with the battery to see if there is a load when the key is off.

We have two CRF230s and the batteries lasted for many years.  I have left my key on for months with no impact on battery.
I suggest you put an ammeter in series with the battery to see if there is a load when the key is off.

I put my ammeter in series and left it to record min, max, avg values for a few hours with the key off and I didn't get any readings.

• Like 1

do a continuity test from the positive wire to the ground, maybe you have a short somewhere that is damaging the batteries.

I would charge it to 13 volts, disconnect ground, let it sit overnight, then check voltage.. to see condition of battery.  If that checks out, I would look for a loose ground (intermitent lack of charge) or bare wire (parasitic drain). I like to run a digital volt meter on my bike so I can see what's going on and I think this is very importante on a bike with no kicker.post-334269-0-00501900-1439914386_thumb.jpg

37 minutes ago, dtw4 said:

I put my ammeter in series and left it to record min, max, avg values for a few hours with the key off and I didn't get any readings.

In that case we know the cause is the battery.  Perhaps the charging system is overcharging the batteries and killing them prematurely.  My POS 2001 Chevy Impala used to do just that.

Edited by VortecCPI

ok i think i may have gotten somewhere, at least i hope.

i removed the positive lead and ohm'd it to negative and got in the kilo-ohms, started moving around wires to see if i could pick up anything touching the frame. nothing.

so started tracing wires to see if there was anything where water could get in to short something out. 

Bingo!! (maybe)

right in front of my face i found this little boot covering a 4 pin connector and the top of it was wide open. so i filled it with silicone.

IMG_1682.thumb.JPG.696a0adf17067044772e9d9d72d7d512.JPGIMG_1681.thumb.JPG.af3c726a391ba81f26a8fe9913bd66d4.JPG

as far as  can tell by the wiring diagram, those wires in the connector will go through the rectifier and down to the IPG and Alternator. im not sure if maybe when i washed it, some water had gotten into that boot and sat in the connector, providing a short until the water dried...

imageproxy.thumb.jpeg.7d8fb8908eb2483a70bab04e89e19a9e.jpeg594481a7d2921_crfwiring.thumb.jpeg.9e6b06ce2bc8362a6824db9fb4bacb67.jpeg

everything else seems fine, the only thing i cant check is the charging current supplied to the battery while its running.

the bike is on warranty for another 8 days but i know electrical is the hardest thing to troubleshoot and i dont want to come to pick it up and have a huge bill of shop time, and no answer.

i guess you really dont know how dirty your bike is until you take the plastics off !! (now cleaning it up)

Edited by dtw4

i borrowed my friends dc ammeter and started the bike and measured charging current, around 0.7/0.8A ish then as my voltage goes back up to 14.1 the charging current drops to around 0.2A so i think its safe to say that it must have been water or dirt sitting on a connection and leaking to negative somehow.