'16 YZ450F vs. '16 YZ450FX

Currently have the 450F, stock save for hand guards, and  previous owner installed an FM Ti 4.1 pipe/carbon muffler.

Having been away from the sport for many, many years, I found it to be a real bear, and purchased a '17 250FX.

Loooove that thing, fun lil ripper. But, after half a dozen rides, knocking some of the rust off, I can tell at some point I'll be looking for a bike with more

poop in it's scoop. Better to spend $1,500.00 Cdn on rekluse, short seat, pull rod to drop seat height ( working with a 30" inseam) and a heavier flywheel, and gear it down, 

or spend $2,600.00 trading for a new 450FX? It would have the softer suspension, lower gears, more flywheel mass etc stock..?

Or even just hang tough and try and find a good deal on a hold over 300 2 smoker next year?

My skill level is weekend warrior, not any sort of racer etc, just looking for something a bit more compliant in tight single track, lilke my current 250FX shines, just with a power

level between that, and the 450F...

Thanks for any insight!

The Rekluse will resolve most of your concerns and issues with trail riding an MX 450, then maybe a lowering link if inseam is real issue. You're going to find the same issues to be true with the FX anyhow I'm sure. The FX is also quite a bit heavier...

Good point Monk, about the weight...

With either I'd need a lowering link (have one on order for the 250 from Devol).

Ha, Monk kinda, you kinda read my mind, 350 XC-F, or a 300 XC / XC-W is on the wish list.

Hey, can't have a collection if you don't have more than one, am I right? :ride:

12 hours ago, GRamg said:

My skill level is weekend warrior, not any sort of racer etc, just looking for something a bit more compliant in tight single track, lilke my current 250FX shines, just with a power

level between that, and the 450F...

I honestly think what you're describing a desire for in terms of bike traits is met by a 300 2-stroke. Feels like a mountain bike and will have more power. I have both a new 300 2t and a 16 YZ450F (with a rekluse and a bunch of other stuff set up for off-road). I prefer the 300 for just about everything, and especially tight, technical single track. A YZ250X with some mods might suit your fancy as well if you don't want to spend much more, but you will lose electric start and some other creature comforts, if it makes any difference to you.

Keep in mind if you are hesitant about a new 300 2T because of price: you are getting an oversized tank, handguards, e-start, 6 speed, and a hydraulic clutch from the factory. You'd just need a skid plate and possibly a shock spring, depending on your weight. And its a bit lighter than the YZ250X and any 4 stroke option. I hope this helps your decision. 

Edited by CSAR FE

Damn, kinda the way I was leaning as well, thanks Csar!

Keep an eye out maybe in the fall for a discounted KTM or Husky. That new Sherco looks

like it might be an option as well, dealer that's only a few hundred km's away in a town that I go

to quite often for work anyways..

I keep going back and forth on selling my 17 450fx. I love my 300 xcw on really technical st but every time I ride my 450 fx I keep changing my mind on selling it lol.  The fx is kinda heavy but it handles really well and is really fun to ride !!   I finally found a map I like on the more technical st and took the stock dunlops off made a big difference. I think the 450fx is great around bike.