Beta 350RR suspension setup

I have a new Beta 350RR and trying to setup the suspension. The manual states to start from all the way in and work your way out from there. I ride this bike in mostly rocky single and like it more plush on the low speed. AI set the sag at 4" and I worked my way past mid point turning out. Any tips would be appreciated.

What year and how much do you weigh? I'm assuming it has OC forks not the TC ones! ! 

MM 

It sounds like you are in the ballpark. Remember Fork oil level (or air), sag, and fork height are all adjustment options, in addition to the clickers.

IN, Clockwise, Slow, or Stiffer: Makes compression feel "harsher" but rebound feel "plusher"

Out, Counter-Clockwise, Faster, or Softer: Makes rebound feel "harsher" but compression feel "plusher"

*** A random fact worth noting: A suspension with the softest compression setting but fastest rebound, would actually feel significantly more harsh than a suspension with the stiffest compression and slowest rebound setting. (Think pogo stick or basketball, or spring- just immediately releasing all of the energy on every single bump- right to the bars). 

Its hard to wrap your mind around, but to a beginner/intermediate: 1, 2 or 3 clicks faster rebound would likely have about the same "feeling" as 1, 2 or 3 clicks slower compression. Obviously they do different things, but they have a very similar "feeling" in the bars. If you keep this in mind when you are tuning, it helps narrow it down quite a bit. For example lets say your issue is the bike is too stiff/harsh on the bumps. As far as clickers are concerned- This would leave the options of stiffening rebound, or softening compression. Consider the other attributes of the bike (cornering, packing vs bottoming, brake dive, etc) and that would help you decide which adjustment is better. 

• Like 1

Have you read the "Tuning your suspension", the first thread in this forum? All of it? Its a good one.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

I think that is why I have been beating my head against my bars (pun intended). I'm going to start from factory settings and work rebound out and compression in a couple of clicks at a time and see where it gets me. I did notice on my last setup the forks were diving almost wiped me out a few times.

Depends on what you want they are very soft in the valving and the rebound circuit is poor for anything but very slow riding. Try your rebound at 6 out comp 10 out but it will still feel soft if you push. My only solution was a revalve. 

• Like 1