Sign in to follow this  

2017 FX350 FI Issues

Hey guys. Need some advice or suggestions on my issue. I have a new FX350 with about 10 hrs on it. Raced a 1 hr grass track event this past weekend. The last part of the race I started having issues with no throttle response and bogging on throttle openings. Ran perfect up to that point. Thought it might have been the hot temps. About 90° here in eastern PA. Got it home washed it up and fired it back up a few days later. Same issue. Started a little difficult and did no want to rev out when I took it for a test spin. I get no OBD codes. Here is what I did so far to resolve this with no avail. Adjusted TPS (originally at .547, set it at .570 to see if it cleaned up), cleaned fuel filter, checked plug, disconnected the battery while it was running to check if the electrical system is putting out a charge, and checked all my connectors. Now I can start it OK but it will bog terrible or flame out if I twist the throttle quickly while sitting on the stand. No load on it. I called my dealer but he said I did everything I could do myself. They need to see it now. The dealer is 2 hours away and I am dreading the bill if this thing isn't covered under any warranty. Any ideas???

Edited by cbauer

Warranty not with hrs but days. Husqvarna/KTM are not too flexible with this.

What was the battery voltage??

Not that this is the issue but why would you clean the fuel filter??? You're asking for trouble there as you can force dirt thru screen enlarging holes for the later dirt to go thru. Filters are cheap and were meant to be disposable.

13.14V at the battery. I flushed the filter with carb cleaner not blown out with compressed air. Didn't have an extra and wanted to make sure that wasn't the issue causing the problem in the first place.

Your problem could be low fuel pressure caused by kinked or ruptured fuel lines inside tank.

My dealer gave me 3 extra fuel filters to keep in tool belt, because they know this can be a problem. Cant clean them on trail, but easy to swap out. Double check that or get new one. Did you check to see if air filter was sealed all the way around? I flubbed this up once and bike was popping bad, next time i cleaned air filter i noticed it and made sure it was on good and never did it again

As others have said, it sounds like either lack of air or lack of fuel. I'd change the fuel filter just to be sure, and I'd remove the air filter to make sure the reed valve isn't stuck closed (not sure if the FX has the reed valve). I've also had an air filter clog once that really didn't look that dirty, but the engine would die/bog under load until I cleaned the air filter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyQuest said:

As others have said, it sounds like either lack of air or lack of fuel. I'd change the fuel filter just to be sure, and I'd remove the air filter to make sure the reed valve isn't stuck closed (not sure if the FX has the reed valve). I've also had an air filter clog once that really didn't look that dirty, but the engine would die/bog under load until I cleaned the air filter.

There's no reed valve on a 4t

Well then I stand corrected. That would have been removed at set-up right after I unloaded it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weantright said:

Well then I stand corrected. That would have been removed at set-up right after I unloaded it!

Unfortunately it's sad but true... 

No reed on my FX350.

I just got back from the dealer. They found that it was a split pump fuel filter. I was wondering why I had some serious agitation in my tank. Gas was shooting out the cracks in the filter. Covered under warranty. Runs like a champ once again. Some kudos to the guys at Town & Country Cycles!!! They were great. Want to thank you guys too for your input. Learn allot about KTM/Husky EFI this last week.

Edited by cbauer

On 6/21/2017 at 9:17 AM, MentalGuru said:

Made a ThumperTalk account just to reply to this. Goons like MentalGuru who post replies like this without any further help really annoy me. This is aa community of riders and the point is to help each other out. I have an FX350 and an FE501. I can 100% confirm that the FX does not have reeds and the FE does. If MentalGuru yanked his head out of ass and actually read the link he copied and pasted (WHICH ACTUALLY SAYS FE IN THE LINK, NOT FX) maybe he could be a little bit more helpful. 

That all said, do check out: https://www.ktmandhusky.com/2016-17-ktm-xcf-sxf - which is the correct page on the KTM & Husky site for your fx350. I purchased the fuel rail & the GRUNT from these guys and it helped a ton with flameouts on my ride.

Hope this helps! 

IMG_6384.JPG

22 minutes ago, Erik Hansen said:

Made a ThumperTalk account just to reply to this. Goons like MentalGuru who post replies like this without any further help really annoy me. This is aa community of riders and the point is to help each other out. I have an FX350 and an FE501. I can 100% confirm that the FX does not have reeds and the FE does. If MentalGuru yanked his head out of ass and actually read the link he copied and pasted (WHICH ACTUALLY SAYS FE IN THE LINK, NOT FX) maybe he could be a little bit more helpful. 

That all said, do check out: https://www.ktmandhusky.com/2016-17-ktm-xcf-sxf - which is the correct page on the KTM & Husky site for your fx350. I purchased the fuel rail & the GRUNT from these guys and it helped a ton with flameouts on my ride.

Hope this helps! 

IMG_6384.JPG

Where did I say FX or FE???  I was responding to the following post where it was stated that "There's no reed valve on a 4t".    :excuseme:

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, weantright said:

There's no reed valve on a 4t

see...   ^^^^^^   🙄

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, MentalGuru said:

I was responding to a reply that was made that wasn't specific to the FX or FE.   :doh:  Reading comprehension is skill you must lack...    :bonk:

Thanks for confirming the fact that some 4 stroke bikes actually use a reed valve though.    👍

You may want to direct your anger appropriately in the future however.    :prof:

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 12:11 PM, cbauer said:

No reed on my FX350.

I just got back from the dealer. They found that it was a split pump fuel filter. I was wondering why I had some serious agitation in my tank. Gas was shooting out the cracks in the filter. Covered under warranty. Runs like a champ once again. Some kudos to the guys at Town & Country Cycles!!! They were great. Want to thank you guys too for your input. Learn allot about KTM/Husky EFI this last week.

A lot of KTM Huskies are having the fuel pump and filter problems. I have seen (5) so far. The replacement part(s) seem to be fine.

9 hours ago, WILLY THE WORT said:

A lot of KTM Huskies are having the fuel pump and filter problems. I have seen (5) so far. The replacement part(s) seem to be fine.

Must be a west coast thing. Non so far locally here in about two model years.