DRZ400SM "chhh"-noise from left hand side when driving wheel

Whenever I give gas and the bike actually pulls forward, like every time the engine pulls the chain (ie. not in neutral, not clutch), I get this "chhhhh" sound from left hand side. "Chhh" like the word "Cheese". If I give gas in neutral or clutched, I get no sound. If I cruise on high gear I get no "chhh" unless the thump pulls (if that makes sense) "thump-thump-thump-chthump-thump-thump-thump-chthump".

I can't tell if its an air-chhh or grinding chhh. I can't see any obvious air leaks around carb. Tried tension chain correct level but did not improve.

What can it be, how to troubleshoot?

Note: Maybe it's my imagination, but the "chh" gets progressively louder the longer time I ride. 
(stock bike except 3x3 and mrd ssw. I have had carb out to fix gas leak, not sure chh was before fix)

Edited by Hugh Dick

This is going out on a limb, but check your chain guides.  From what you're describing, it sounds like a similar sound of a chain rubbing in the guides.  When you're on the throttle to accelerate, there's more tension on the chain, hence, more sound...

just a thought!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rsvesnik said:

This is going out on a limb, but check your chain guides.  From what you're describing, it sounds like a similar sound of a chain rubbing in the guides.  When you're on the throttle to accelerate, there's more tension on the chain, hence, more sound...

just a thought!

Thanks, I have tried with and without the rear guide. I understand there are some plastic wheels close to the engine, I cannot see, is this the ones you mean?

5 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Rear wheel bearings?

It sounds like it comes from the general area of the left knee when riding face forward. Will check rear wheel bearings, but they are used even when not giving gas, I guess they wouldn't they sound when clutching and rolling for example?

It sounds like it comes from the general area of the left knee when riding face forward. Will check rear wheel bearings, but they are used even when not giving gas, I guess they wouldn't they sound when clutching and rolling for example?

When power is applied to the rear wheel, it pulls forward pressure on the left side wheel bearing which can cause a different sound between coasting and powering.

The left knee thing is a little more indicative of a counter sprocket issue. Is it properly torqued and lock tighted?
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Is it properly torqued and lock tighted?

I'm not sure, got the bike quite recently, I generally presume NO on locktite - can I check if it is counter sprocket without disassembling stuff?

2 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Two bolts hold on the countershaft sprocket cover. It is very quick as nd easy to pull off and inspect. You may want to read up on the countershaft locktight fix in the faq's.

Cool yea im somewhat familiar with it, ill check into it no matter. Anyhow, after losening cover, how can I tell if there is a problem already? 

16 hours ago, Hugh Dick said:

after losening cover, how can I tell if there is a problem already? 

Ok, got answer elsewhere, updating for future users: There is a problem if the nut is loose, you need to tighten it (preferably with the "loctite fix" - google it). If there is oil leak from here, you also need to replace the counter chaft oil seal (good videos on youtube).

Regarding the "swooshing" sound, I still don't know where it comes from. Will check above.

• Like 1

Ok, got answer elsewhere, updating for future users: There is a problem if the nut is loose, you need to tighten it (preferably with the "loctite fix" - google it). If there is oil leak from here, you also need to replace the counter chaft oil seal (good videos on youtube).

Regarding the "swooshing" sound, I still don't know where it comes from. Will check above.

Yeah, sorry for the delayed response. The alert got buried by other incoming nonsense.

Yes, the nut backs off and can make a variety of interesting noises ranging from the lock washer jingling like a tiny bell to the sound of you crashing as your engine oil gets dumped all over the rear tire.

If the nut is tight, your sound is coming from elsewhere.
  • Like 1

On 2017-06-17 at 10:27 PM, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Yeah, sorry for the delayed response. The alert got buried by other incoming nonsense.

Yes, the nut backs off and can make a variety of interesting noises ranging from the lock washer jingling like a tiny bell to the sound of you crashing as your engine oil gets dumped all over the rear tire.

If the nut is tight, your sound is coming from elsewhere.

Lol yea! Well I checked and the nut is loose indeed. I didn't have a large enough tool for the nut so can't check oil gasket or splines. It looks dry apart from chain lube splatter, yes? 

What is the correct fix from this point, do you want to add anything?

1. Remove nut, replace locking plate, remove sprocket, replace oil seal if needed (probably not)
  2. Put Loctite on SPLINES, mount everything, loctite threads for good measure, torque nut to (105 foot pounds?)

Q1: Must I use new locking plate? Is it possible to re-use and bend 2 other sides? (saves me ~1+ weeks of delivery time)

• Like 1

Lol yea! Well I checked and the nut is loose indeed. I didn't have a large enough tool for the nut so can't check oil gasket or splines. It looks dry apart from chain lube splatter, yes? 

What is the correct fix from this point, do you want to add anything?
  1. Remove nut, replace locking plate, remove sprocket, replace oil seal if needed (probably not)
  2. Put Loctite on SPLINES, mount everything, loctite threads for good measure, torque nut to (105 foot pounds?)
Q1: Must I use new locking plate? Is it possible to re-use and bend 2 other sides? (saves me ~1+ weeks of delivery time)

Only change the oil seal if it is leaking. I reuse the locking plate as you described, by bending different sides. Inspect the sprocket for wear, clean everything well with degreaser, locktight and torque.

Hopefully that was the sound you originally posted about.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Only change the oil seal if it is leaking. I reuse the locking plate as you described, by bending different sides. Inspect the sprocket for wear, clean everything well with degreaser, locktight and torque.

Hopefully that was the sound you originally posted about.

Thanks for all help mate, appreciate it! 

• Like 1