Low fuel light (12-15)

This may have been covered before, but when exactly does the low fuel light come on with the 12-15 WR450F's? It seems mine comes on at just under a half tank. It gets me in "panic mode", thinking I need to get gas immediately, only to drive 10-15 miles to the nearest pump and then only put 1.3 gallons in. I was under the understanding that Yamaha put it at 0.6 gallons, but it most certainly seems sooner than that. I thought I remember reading something about this not being adjustable on the 2016+, but I don't know if the 12-15 uses the same system.

Does this bike have an overall mile metering device on it? I see a mile marker on it, but I think it's resettable, more for enduro riding. I got the bike with "approximately 6 hours on it" and due to how clean it was, I figured it was pretty dang accurate. I've put on 250 miles since I've gotten it and actually took it 37 miles to work today, but have primarily gone by the hour meter I installed. 

It gets me in "panic mode", thinking I need to get gas immediately, only to drive 10-15 miles to the nearest pump and then only put 1.3 gallons in. I was under the understanding that Yamaha put it at 0.6 gallons, but it most certainly seems sooner than that.

Well, the stock tank is 2 gal so if you are putting in 1.3 gal then it agrees with 0.6 gal left when the light comes on.

I agree that it is set to come on too early. I have a 3 gal tank and there seems to be a lot of fuel left when the light comes on. I am used to reserves on petcocks which typically give you about a 15 mile warning. My fuel light gives me at least twice that.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Well, the stock tank is 2 gal so if you are putting in 1.3 gal then it agrees with 0.6 gal left when the light comes on.

I agree that it is set to come on too early. I have a 3 gal tank and there seems to be a lot of fuel left when the light comes on. I am used to reserves on petcocks which typically give you about a 15 mile warning. My fuel light gives me at least twice that.

It was 1.3 gallons by the time I got to the gas station 15 miles away; doing 65mph via back country roads the whole way. It came on way before that. :)

Mine comes on with 1/2 gallon left in the tank as designed. I used it as a snow bike this season, and carried a 2 gallon tank on my tunnel. Even after riding it for what seemed like a long time with the light on, I was never able to get the full 2 gallons in the bike. 

It has come on prematurely from time to time due to fuel sloshing around while doing something dumb. But after a re-start, the light stays off until the 1/2 gallon mark.