Airbox YZ250x

Let's talk about the airbox on a YZ250x.

Can someone explain what the purpose is, of the large rectangular opening on the bottom of the airbox ?  I assume it is to let water out,  but would it not also let water in?!?  What would be the downfall of completely closing it in, and only letting the airbox breathe from under the seat? 

.....back story is that I got water in my engine, and I can only assume it came through that opening in the airbox.  The water wasn't deep enough to get in anywhere else (maybe).

20170616_064943.jpg

For all my bikes I have used the blue belray airfilter oil and have submerged my bike multiple times along with my sons yz85 and yes there are droplets on the outside but nothing has ever made it in... Also I grease the lip of the filter. The stuff is pretty sticky and I do think it restricts some airflow but man it traps everything and is waterproof ..

Mainly for water and debis dropout. Sealing it up might take away from it's breathing but I doubt it would be enough to change characteristics and/or jetting. 

Bottom line (or airbox), if you do a bunch of water crossing in the depths to the middle of it, seal it up and run it. Many 4 stroke or other brand 2 strokes are very restrictivly closed up. 

• Like 1

Sealed it is.  

I'm obviously gonna see if closing it off restricts breathing into the carb.  If it does, I may open up some breathers on the side plates.

Or, I could stay the hell out of sketchy creeks, but what's the fun in that? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CampX said:

Sealed it is.  

I'm obviously gonna see if closing it off restricts breathing into the carb.  If it does, I may open up some breathers on the side plates.

Or, I could stay the hell out of sketchy creeks, but what's the fun in that? 

Years ago they used to make 1" or 1 1/2" pop in foam filter thingys. It was an aftermarket deal to open up the air box on the sides, you drilled the hole and then poped them in. The foam filter material was removable, cleanable, and re-oilable, was a trick set up for the bikes that needed to be opened up to breath, and you could place them as high as you needed on the air box.

• Like 1

"Years ago they used to make 1" or 1 1/2" pop in foam filter thingys. It was an aftermarket deal to open up the air box on the sides, you drilled the hole and then poped them in..."

Something like this, right?

t171_1d30a1166159591a95c96ef2b619b53b.jp

http://shop.unifilter.com/p/air-box-filtered-air-vents-6-pack

Back to the YZ airbox, a smart design would be a simple one-way flap on the bottom of the airbox that would remain closed until pressure from inside the airbox (presumably water) would force the flap open, allowing the water to drain out.

It's a million dollar idea. Somebody get on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

"Years ago they used to make 1" or 1 1/2" pop in foam filter thingys. It was an aftermarket deal to open up the air box on the sides, you drilled the hole and then poped them in..."

Something like this, right?

t171_1d30a1166159591a95c96ef2b619b53b.jp

http://shop.unifilter.com/p/air-box-filtered-air-vents-6-pack

Back to the YZ airbox, a smart design would be a simple one-way flap on the bottom of the airbox that would remain closed until pressure from inside the airbox (presumably water) would force the flap open, allowing the water to drain out.

That be them. UNI, should have figured. Sister worked there years ago and I still have a connection with Thomas... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaptDan said:

What if there was a malfunction and the flap didnt open ?  :banghead:

Seems that the air boxes on the bikes I grew up on (IT's KDX's etc...) were sealed except for a 1/2" or 3/4" rubber nipple hanging off the bottom. It was very soft rubber and had a X shaped slit in it. Water passed right through when you rode wet stuff. If you rode dry stuff, it would sometimes collect debris. All you had to do then was pull the spring clamp off and clean it. This technology has obviously been superseded . ?

• Like 4