Sign in to follow this  

What kind of chain is this, 99 XR200

I bought this bike used and don't know if this is the original chain.  I want to know if it's an O ring or not so that I can do appropriate cleaning and maintenance.

thanks,

Joe

chain.jpg

The stamping in the link says Japan. That makes me think it might be the oem chain. I'd assume that's a non o-ring chain 

Here's a picture from directly above.  I can send more pics if needed.  thx

chain2.jpg

its an o-ring chain but its stuffed - the o-rings have perished and the links are rusty

Is it OK to ride on while I figure out what to replace it with?  Is it safe to ride with?

Yeah you can see in the picture the o-rings are cracked up, probably from being old and drying, not getting maintained. 

I'd pull the wheel off and check the chain for wear. Grab a couple links and push them against each other, then pull apart. Also try bending the chain from side to side. The more it bends in the direction it's not supposed to, the more wear the pins have. If there's a lot of flex and wear, I definitely wouldn't do any hard riding on it

I replaced the chain on our boy's little 50 a while back, it was worn out pretty bad. Here's a pic of the old chain compared to a brand new chain, showing wear with the side bend 

20160304_151343.jpg

Edited by Daniel627
Forgot to add picture