'17 and newer 500 question.

So I have a Husky 300 and love it but I want to add a new 500 to the stable.  What kind of investment does it take to get these bikes to run at peak performance.  I mean peak performance on a primarily stock bike with bolt on stuff, not motor work.  Mapping, fuel rail, exhaust?  It sounds like the Euro mapping stuff is about over, how do you open these bikes up now?  Maybe I am just misinformed...

my dealer ( in canada ) did put the euro map in my 2017  500 this spring .  today he just told me that last week he was not able to flash ecu anymore . now he need a code from ktm to download this euro mapping . he told me that ktm did lock down the euro mapping download . it seam new " glitch "from last week or so . 

blaie racing can put fuel in my ecu but i need to have euro mapping , been trying the heel to call them to have info before sending my ecu to the state with no success . 

you can go pc5 or other piggyback . 

my dealer ( in canada ) did put the euro map in my 2017  500 this spring .  today he just told me that last week he was not able to flash ecu anymore . now he need a code from ktm to download this euro mapping . he told me that ktm did lock down the euro mapping download . it seam new " glitch "from last week or so . 
blaie racing can put fuel in my ecu but i need to have euro mapping , been trying the heel to call them to have info before sending my ecu to the state with no success . 
you can go pc5 or other piggyback . 

Blaise can't do it anymore.....

It's crazy that KTM builds a sick bike and won't allow you to modify it to correct issues with THIER bike. Stalling, flameouts, overheating etc. What's it going to take, someone getting hurt when the bike stalls pulling from an intersection. Makes you wonder. 

Hi, there's a few topics on this very subject right here. Search a bit and if you don't find answer ask again. I answered a few btw.

21 hours ago, KennyMc said:

Blaise can't do it anymore.....

https://blaisracingservices.com/2012-2017-ktm-husqvarna-custom-ecu-mapping.html

that it what i said they cannot do it and dealer have hard time doing it . my dealer can not put euro mapping since last week . before that he did plenty flashing . 

i have the euro map so  Blais can had gas to my ecu . 

• Like 1

I currently have the same stable  '15 300 and '17 500.

xcw rear fender/light

smog stuff delete

ecu upgrade

Dunlop AT81s

Scotts damper

14/52 gears

chain

FMF Q4 (very quiet)

quick turn throttle cam

switch delete

mirror delete

500 weighs almost as much as the 300 now and carries a plate

don't forget the horn and turn indicators

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, 500excf said:

It's crazy that KTM builds a sick bike and won't allow you to modify it to correct issues with THIER bike. Stalling, flameouts, overheating etc. What's it going to take, someone getting hurt when the bike stalls pulling from an intersection. Makes you wonder. 

mine runs like a monster 510cc bike should

After riding a 17 500 exc the other day and comparing it to my 16 500 exc I'd do the following.

Change the tires to more dirt oriented knobbies.

Change the stock silencer to a fmf 4.1 or q4.

Take the bike to a suspension shop and have it resprung and revalved for my weight.

Get a skid plate.

Install my scotts steering damper. I prefer the top mount Scott's kit so I can keep my handlebars the stock height.

Install a sicass racing fender eliminator kit.

Change the gearing to 13/45. That's almost exactly like 14/50 on the 12'-16' 500 exc's.

Install slide clamps and flex levers so the levers don't snap off when I crash.

I wouldn't remap or worry about the tps , it didn't feel overly lean to me.

I wouldn't desmog, the parts weren't overly obnoxious looking to me.

I wouldn't do any of the bds mods including the fuel rail, the bike had no issues.

Oh I forgot, radiator braces as well.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:04 PM, BigBelly said:

So I have a Husky 300 and love it but I want to add a new 500 to the stable.  What kind of investment does it take to get these bikes to run at peak performance.  I mean peak performance on a primarily stock bike with bolt on stuff, not motor work.  Mapping, fuel rail, exhaust?  It sounds like the Euro mapping stuff is about over, how do you open these bikes up now?  Maybe I am just misinformed...

The go around for the Euro Map is the Vortex ignition and they are coming in around 7-800.  On top of that you'll need the TPS tool for ~35 dollars.  

Rest of the stuff is stock modification, or you can throw money at shinny parts.

Don't expect anything from the fuel rail or his 90 degree fitting.  Stock exhaust can be modified with a drill bit and a pair of pliers, air box can be modified with a flat head and pair of pliers (and no, it doesn't collapse under full power so you probably don't need the tube to go in there either).  

Personally only power mods I did was euro map, desmog and intake/exhaust mods and I have no need for additional power.  The rest of my money was spent on springs, a new seat and protection.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 9:31 AM, 500excf said:

The bike was never intended to go on the street.  It just happens to have a plate with all of the new regulations.  CA is the biggest market for KTM's.  Im just hoping Dynojet will make a version of this soon.  

my 500 sux on the street but like others have pointed out its an excellent offroader

I agree 100% that its not intended for the street and it does suck on the road. I'm sure many of us hit paved roads at some point to get to dirt and that's where my comment would justify the problems that are built into this beast of a bike. Stalling or a flameout going across the highway to get to the trail would kinda suck in my book. Before I did the tune and desmog I had quite a few stalling issues and it did feel inconsistent in the throttle. Still a great bike overall and I would buy it again with no worries.

91f337a6-2c5c-4f02-97f3-bbd7c8d6b1c9.jpgThe only reason it sucks on the road is the set up, I think its an excellent bike on the road. It comes off the floor out of balance and poorly set up even as a dirt bike.

Edited by Spud786

That's correct.  I balanced my wheels this past weekend and had to put almost 4oz of weights on each wheel.  About 16 1/4oz weights per wheel.  Yes it looks pretty ugly, but running balanced wheels makes it more rideable.

19 hours ago, Spud786 said:

91f337a6-2c5c-4f02-97f3-bbd7c8d6b1c9.jpgThe only reason it sucks on the road is the set up, I think its an excellent bike on the road. It comes off the floor out of balance and poorly set up even as a dirt bike.

judging by mirrors it is suzuki.

You probably missed my complaint email to ktm a couple of years ago, that they should consult with Suzuki and learn how to make a mirror that doesn't fall apart.

time and gorilla glue, did wonders to atleast make them usable. You couldn't even ride down the road with out them falling apart from the pivot points coming loose. After retrofitting, tree limps and branches knock them around, put they hold very well at the pivot points now.

I know you were being facetious, but alittle of your comment rang true. LOL!

• Like 1

Dealers no longer to flash the ECU with EU map...welcome to the world of CARBII regs and EPA enforcement action.  Why 49 states have to follow Kalifornia regs is beyond me.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, Airboss/oc said:

I currently have the same stable  '15 300 and '17 500.

xcw rear fender/light

smog stuff delete

ecu upgrade

Dunlop AT81s

Scotts damper

14/52 gears

chain

FMF Q4 (very quiet)

quick turn throttle cam

switch delete

mirror delete

500 weighs almost as much as the 300 now and carries a plate

don't forget the horn and turn indicators

How do you like the 14/52? I am running the 14/50 but think I'd like it a little lower in second and 3rd gear.  1st would just  be used as a bail out gear it still seems a little tall at 14/50

1 2 and 3 are hardcore rock pile gears like a trials machine with ballz. 4 5 and 6 are for open desert and mountains. most time open country I use 5 and 6 and it will pull the front wheel to clear holes with ease 40-70mph