Would you count driving your mx bike around in first as warming it up?

Some of my race buddies dont leave there bike to idle for even a second as they say its better to just ride around slowly before smashing it hard on the track. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Probably not a bad idea as a 4 stroke will over heat pretty quick if left idling. Maybe a minute at most, then I'd get it moving.

Although the number 1 cause of engine damage according to mototune usa is running a bike hard before its been warmed up. But i guess riding around in first is not riding hard. 

• Like 1

The manual for my 08 yz450f says to avoid excessive idling.  I have found my bike runs better if I don't warm it up more than about 15 seconds before pulling off. I just take it easy for a few minutes than let her rip.  I think it may be the float bowl filling up, not sure, but I also notice that the pros at AMA races don't start up until the 2 minute board goes up.

7 minutes ago, Heidonkx said:

Although the number 1 cause of engine damage according to mototune usa is running a bike hard before its been warmed up. But i guess riding around in first is not riding hard. 

That minute of idling that I mentioned was all it took for my KX250F to go from completely cold to "burn your fingers if you touched the radiators" hot. Riding it around the parking lot didn't take any longer for the same result.

My YZ250 on the other hand, can idle for 10 minutes and the radiators barely make good hand warmers. :smirk:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY
  • Like 1

Riding the bike in first putting about is much better for the machine than letting it sit and idle. Gets the oil flowing over everything, air over the exhaust to cool it/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clcarr64 said:

The manual for my 08 yz450f says to avoid excessive idling.  I have found my bike runs better if I don't warm it up more than about 15 seconds before pulling off. I just take it easy for a few minutes than let her rip.  I think it may be the float bowl filling up, not sure, but I also notice that the pros at AMA races don't start up until the 2 minute board goes up.

It was probably already warmed up by the mechanic on the stand with a fan blowing through the radiators similar to a car on a dyno or a f1 car up on stands 

10 minutes ago, William1 said:

Riding the bike in first putting about is much better for the machine than letting it sit and idle. Gets the oil flowing over everything, air over the exhaust to cool it/

Yeah good point. Maybe i will start doing that!

My bike runs like a dream when warm, but until it gets there it's real finicky, so I just let it idle for a couple minutes before taking off...never have any overheating issues.

Depending on the time of year I start my CRF250R and let it warm up for about a minute with the choke on then maybe a minute on idle and IMO its warmed up and ready to rip.

If you have any doubt, see how long it takes the header to get too hot you can't touch it.

It just seems it makes sense to let the bike idle for about 1 minute to let everything come up to temp and finish it's thermal expansion before putting additional loads on it by riding it around in first gear? But, maybe that's picking nits...dirt bikes are pretty resilient.
...but I always wait the 1 minute...use the time to put my gloves on...adj helmet and goggles...last look around to make sure gas is on...the choke off...

• Like 1

Man, people are puttin a lot of thought in to this. I run it for a bout a minute, then hop on to the trails. That may be a 4th gear low rpm cruise, I just short shift and keep rpm/ load low for a few mins. If going on a track, il run it for the Sam minute or two, then pull on the track doing short shift easy laps for 2 or so. Then hammer

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1

I say use the same warm up procedure your manual calls for when you do an oil change, my 07 CRF 450R is a 3 min warm up and that's about what I do when riding. 1-2 min with choke on when cold another min then rip it!  

• Like 1

By the time I get to the tracks entry apot, she's plenty warm. My two stroke on the other hand took awhile to warm up properly. My crf450 warms up quick.

On my 250sxf I let it idle for about a minute then I take it easy for another 2-3 minutes and then I ride normally.

Let it idle as long you strap your boots, put on gloves and helmet.. 

I do choke first 15 sec to get the oil flow, then idle for 30sec to a minute and NO throttle. 

Why the rush? 

Edited by skorpan777