Where are your levers set?

No right or wrong here, just curious where mine are mine are set to everyone else's. Rode a buddies 250f the other day and his are straight out in front of the grips....mine are almost in line with the forks. Post a similar pic if possible. 

20170616_185517.jpg

Edited by Paul T

Slightly down.  It's a little easier to operate them standing up with that angle.  Thats MY personal preference.  Straight down I don't like.  At least I have to do some unusual movements of my wrist to operate them sitting down.

• Like 2

My clutch is down a bit so as to be more in line when standing. Brake is down a bit more (but not as much as the OP's) so I can get on it easier with my fubared wrist. Both of them have been a case of "adjust on the fly". "Down a little more, meh, little more, too much, up a hair, there".. That's about where they're set. :thumbsup:

Ya I've spent a fair bit of time getting my controls set up for where and how I like to ride and there a LARGE # of variables.

Mostly ride standing in fast/flowy/hard/technical terrain and I'm 5-11 and use CR HI bend bars.

Clutch/front brake at about the same position and I've used this pic to explain other stuff but the bike is on both wheels a pretty much vertical and give a pretty good idea of lever position but you can also move them inwards or outwards on the bars depending on what levers you are using. I don't have a good pic from behind but this might give you an idea.

59446b15c5c13_handlebar-1.jpg.1db2347e054efd3b77419aef8bea220d.jpg20170515_193756.jpg.2e047742c66060639d2d5a93e7f95a36.jpg

Edited by filterx

Image1497656524.755041.jpg

I've never seen levers that low... not saying it's bad just never seen it. You must never sit down!

1 hour ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

Image1497656524.755041.jpg

I've never seen levers that low... not saying it's bad just never seen it. You must never sit down!

mine are about there as well - yeah the OP is way too low for me

Just below level.  I also push mine very far inboard which is something all the trials guys do.  They are so far Inboard that I only have room to get my index finger and middle finger on the very end of the lever.   That does 3 things...

First it gives me the most mechanical advantage by pulling on the ends of the levers.  The clutch feels lighter.  The slip zone of the clutch, relative to the lever throw, is bigger.  It's amazing how much more braking power you have at the end of the lever compared to the inside of the lever.  

Secondly it protects the lever from breaking in a crash.  If your levers are near the ends of your bars they are going to be very vulnerable in a crash.  Also as a side note, I don't tighten the clamps down very much for the same reason.  Just barely tightening down the clamps allows the levers to move in a crash saving them,

Lastly it prevents my own fingers from getting trapped under the lever.  This only happens when the lever throw suddenly increases during a ride such as when brakes calipers get very hot or a cable operated clutch adjustment gets sloppy.  But I've had it happen where the lever throw gets long and pulling the lever with 1 or 2 fingers ends up crunching my other fingers still on the grips before I get the desired amount of breaking or clutching.  By pushing the levers so far inboard that only 2 finger widths are over the grip, you'll never trap your own fingers.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 3

I still use the old method I learnt way back, sit or stand on the bike in your preferred position, then put you hand on the bars with your wrist and fingers straight, you fingers then should just rest on the top of the lever. Works for Me.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Paul T said:

No right or wrong here, just curious where mine are mine are set to everyone else's. Rode a buddies 250f the other day and his are straight out in front of the grips....mine are almost in line with the forks. Post a similar pic if possible. 

20170616_185517.jpg

You must have foot long fingers with 4 joints.  In all my years of riding I have never seen levers mounted like that.  Never.

• Like 1

On June 16, 2017 at 6:24 PM, brendan31 said:

I've never taken the time to adjust levers, just however the bike comes

Come on Brendan!  Are you kidding US? You probly have not learned to ride yet, most noobs haven't a clue  Sorry to pick on you. But GEEZE man

• Like 1

Just feels natural to me....have my mtn bike levers set the same way. Standing and sitting are probably equal too. Just use my fingertips when grabbing the levers....I thought mine were low compared to others though.

Edited by Paul T
  • Like 1

I run mine low and inward.  Most guest  riders hate how low they are. I tell them to stand up. 

Brake a little higher than clutch.  I shoot for a straight wrist while standing. Plus while cornering helps keeping elbows up. 

MX and trials style straight out cause me pain in minutes plus hard to operate  standing. 

I set my levers mostly from the standing or "attack" position. It seems most riders/racers run them near horizontal. This is a personal preference , run what feels right.

Mark

Come on Brendan!  Are you kidding US? You probly have not learned to ride yet, most noobs haven't a clue  Sorry to pick on you. But GEEZE man

Haha I always just hop on and ride, only thing that bothers me is if the levers are up higher than the bars themselves

Like most of the other posters, I prefer my levers slightly below "level" to provide ease of operation while standing.