What oil filter should I run?

My 17 just reached 600 miles and I need to do an oil change and get the " break in" oil out. The dealer is closed tommorow and Sunday, anyone know a part number for the filter? Maybe orileys autonparts or advanced auto would stock it? Or wait and get a filter from the dealer, as it would be oem vs aftermarket?

Thanks! 

OEM is best 16510-29F00

But you can get by with others. Hi Flo is pretty cheap HF139.

• Like 1

I like the k&n filters (KN-139). If you have a cycle gear next to you they should be there. These filters wouldn't be at autozone, o'rileys, etc.

you can just change the oil and do the filter later or next oil change, the stuff in the filter isnt going anywhere and it would take 5 years or more without changing to clog it .. i'd use oem though ..

• Like 2

The manual recommends changing the filter every other oil change. The filter is a 'catch all' should something happen, not a component that is constantly employed.

Another vote for the composite style filter like the K&N. They do filter better than the stock paper style.

Filter is just there to catch the big stuff, change it next time, the oil is what you really need to get out. Stock is best.

You can get filters at NAPA auto parts stores.PS7931 oil filter in their powersports line.They even come with the inner and outer o-rings.They carry No-toil pre-oiled air filters too but I forgot the number.

Edited by bumtarder

Wix is known for making high quality filters, can be picked up at many local auto parts stores, and comes with both O-rings for the DRZ. Part number 57931.  Its the only thing I run. 

You may need to find out which store is the local "hub / warehouse" store for which of chain you use to find it in stock. However I have no problem getting these locally.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sharkcontrol said:

I put a stainless steel oil filter on mine and have never looked back.

Have an oil analysis done for silica.:)

The surgical grade (claimed) 304 stainless steel mesh filter media in the Flo Oil Filters is rated to filter down to 35 micron size particles.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

Material larger than 20 microns is generally considered too large to pass through tight bearing clearances although with performance engines with main bearing clearances of 0.0030-inch, this is certainly possible. But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/29/ask-away-with-jeff-smith-micron-ratings-and-what-they-mean-for-your-oil-filter/

Buckley offered this quote from GM engineer David Staley taken from a 1988 SAE paper on oil filter efficiency. “Compared to a 40 micron filter, engine wear was reduced by 50 percent with 30 micron filtration. Likewise, wear was reduced by 70 percent with 15 micron filtration.”

Edited by Bermudacat
  • Like 2

there is always a lot of passion and alternatives when it comes to oil filters, here's a real world example.

A guy that I know has 20000 kilometres or so on his DRZ using a Stainless Filter, installed it from the very first oil change, $40 odd bucks, never buy another one

I have one now, quick wash in petrol or mineral turps and a zap with compressed air, all done.

Edited by BMSteve
addition
  • Like 1

With oil
https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/ThumperTalk-DRZ-400-Oil-Change-Kit-p2006766351.html

Without Oil
https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/ThumperTalk-DRZ-400-Oil-Change-Kit-no-oil-p2006835257.html

For single filters, hard to beat these:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/HiFlo-Oil-Filter-p4066134.html

HiFlo is one of the largest if not the largest produces of filters and likely the sounce of OEM filters. Been using them for years without any issue and when I've compared them to OE filters, they look and feel the same.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Not to mention cleaning filters sucks. Its so much easier just to pitch the old filter and pop in the new one.

Ya can't re-use your solvent; it makes one trip and one trip only, unless you want to contaminate the clean side. :facepalm:

59 minutes ago, BMSteve said:

there is always a lot of passion and alternatives when it comes to oil filters, here's a real world example.

A guy that I know has 20000 kilometres or so on his DRZ using a Stainless Filter, installed it from the very first oil change, $40 odd bucks, never buy another one

I have one now, quick wash in petrol or mineral turps and a zap with compressed air, all done.

Vehicles in the '50's didn't even have oil filters. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Before my time brother, having said that my non turbo Toyota Hilux diesel seems to be running tech from the 50's, 390,000 klm and still going strong

Edited by BMSteve
addition

I change my engine oil every 500 km and my SM will never see a dirt ride as long as i own it, so i am happy with 35 microns of filter protection.Always bare in mind that your air filter must be 100 percent clean.

11 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Have you ever performed a tear-down on an engine without an oil filter? I have. I did a tear-down on a Lycoming O-320 that was built in the late '60's that didn't come with an oil filter. At the bottom of the oil pan was enough metal shavings to fill a quart size container. And this was from a working engine that wasn't showing any signs of failure. That engine was re-assembled (with a filter kit) and has continued to provide reliable service since 1994!