Rear axle, how does it come off?

I have a nut on one end, the brake-side, that I had loosened to adjust the chain after I had swapped out my front sprocket and was sort of happy that I didn't need another wrench to keep the axle from spinning but realized not long ago, that there is no nut on the sprocket side and instead, just a very little bit of thread on the end of the axle poking out.  

How does the rear axle come out?  Am I missing a nut on the sprocket end of the axle?  

Would the chain block adjuster be what the axle threads into on the sprocket side?, so just a yankee doodle on the chain block and out comes the axle?  

• Like 1

If you cannot push it out by finger pressure, you most probably have never taken it out and its rusted in there slightly. Or its bent, which I have not heard of before. A light sand to get rid of the rust spots, and grease/oil lightly. And take it out at least a couple of times a year. But you do that to change they tyre already :)

• Like 1

I've only had the bike since 02/22/2017 so it is pretty new with 530 miles and 29 hours.  

I was just curious about the axle as I was looking the bike over tonight.  The front axle has a bolt head on the brake-side with the nut on the other end. 

The Beta has the nut on the brake side with nothing but a few exposed threads on the sprocket side.  I was wondering how the thing comes out.  I will make sure to tap it out and put some anti seize on it so it doesn't have any chance to get stuck and I'm also going to see about getting an axle pull as I don't like the idea of having to pound the axle out if I ever need to change a tire/tube.  

Remove nut, washer axle block on right side, push axle through to left side and remove wheel. Yes, it's that simple, for anyone that can't do it, there is master card.

• Like 3

Thanks for the information/help gentlemen.  I figured it had to be simple.  

I might just have to drop the $37.99 on the Beta, nifty anodized red, rear axle pull.  Had I known that there was either no bolt head, or like on my old dirtbikes, no hole in the axle end to put a screwdriver through to twist and pull the axle out, I am hesitant to mess up a thread on the end of the axle in any way.   

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Thanks for the information/help gentlemen.  I figured it had to be simple.  

I might just have to drop the $37.99 on the Beta, nifty anodized red, rear axle pull.  Had I known that there was either no bolt head, or like on my old dirtbikes, no hole in the axle end to put a screwdriver through to twist and pull the axle out, I am hesitant to mess up a thread on the end of the axle in any way.   

Keep the nut on two threads, use a dead blow or rubber mallet to get it started. It should slide out no problem. When I got my 12 520RS it had grease poping out of every joint on the bike. I wiped it off before I started the break in procedure, and when I changed my first rear tire the axle slid out like butter. Must mean the bikes are coming less greasy now if yours is tight.

Edited by P84ONE
  • Like 1

just take the nut and chain adjuster block off the right side. thread nut back on a few threads and give it enough taps so can grab the left side and pull it out.

Rubber mallet (like others have mentioned) and a socket extension, punch it through. It's that easy.

Good stuff.  

It won't be long before this OEM Michelin Enduro Competition DOT rear tire will be worn and a nice, new Pirelli Scorpion Pro will need to be levered on, 140 80 18.  While getting the rear axle out I'll think of y'all with the Beta's with no hex or hole on the other end of the axle with which to pull on, but that axle will come out for me, easily.  

The Michelin is holding up very well as there are about 550 miles on the tire so far but most of it road miles.  It is so great to be able to go from dirt to street without needing to do a single thing.  Long live the 500 RR-S.  

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Good stuff.  

It won't be long before this OEM Michelin Enduro Competition DOT rear tire will be worn and a nice, new Pirelli Scorpion Pro will need to be levered on, 140 80 18.  While getting the rear axle out I'll think of y'all with the Beta's with no hex or hole on the other end of the axle with which to pull on, but that axle will come out for me, easily.  

The Michelin is holding up very well as there are about 550 miles on the tire so far but most of it road miles.  It is so great to be able to go from dirt to street without needing to do a single thing.  Long live the 500 RR-S.  

You could take it off and give away or sell cheap..Depending on your terrain you could do way better for tires. I didnt know how bad those tires were till I tried other better ones and then my good bike turned out to be an amazing bike !!! Lol . After I took mine off I was going to save and sell..After riding with new good rubber I just gave the newewr old tires away.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

I'm sort of cheap, and lazy, so I'll run the stock tire till it needs to be replaced and get the most highly ranked DOT knob (rated by Dirt Biker), the Pirellli Scorpion Pro, and know that I'll be covered much better for a while. 

I used to run a Pirelli, it might have been an MT-77, way back in the day and between the fantastic traction and the incredible wear, it was the longest lasting tire out there.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I'm sort of cheap, and lazy, so I'll run the stock tire till it needs to be replaced and get the most highly ranked DOT knob (rated by Dirt Biker), the Pirellli Scorpion Pro, and know that I'll be covered much better for a while. 

I used to run a Pirelli, it might have been an MT-77, way back in the day and between the fantastic traction and the incredible wear, it was the longest lasting tire out there.  

Lots of shops will put a tire on for free if you buy the tire there. You just bring the back wheel there.  ..but keep and use the stock tire. That is more bang for your buck..Its just known that other than stock tires are usually an improvement...and you can sell . Those stock tires just sort of suck.

While you have the back wheel out remove the chain adjuster bolts and lube the threads with cooper coat grease and re fit. 

• Like 1