Supersprox stealth sprocket weight loss

In my ongoing pursuit of a lighter xr200, I had been eye balling the aluminum core-pressed steel outer sprockets like the supersprox and the twin rings for awhile. An all aluminum sprocket in my opinion isn't worth the weight saved vs the longevity, or lack thereof. I hadn't found anyone who had reported any weight differences so I bought a supersprox. They don't make one for the little 200R's directly so I ordered one for a wr250. I weighed my 47t steel sprocket that came off the bike, at 1lbs 11oz. The 48t stealth supersprox.... 1lbs 8oz. At about double the price of a steel sprocket and $20 or so more than an aluminum, I'm not sure if I would consider it a win. I wish the outer rings were replaceable

IMG_0281.JPG

I put a supersprox stealth rear sprocket on my '08 CBR600RR when I did the 520 conversion. As for noticing the weight difference while riding, I don't think I'd have ever noticed that. I only got 2000 miles on it before the new chain broke and took out the motor. The sprocket barely showed any wear, of course 2000 miles isn't much. Pretty bad, I got 25,000 miles on stock 525 chain that was still going, but only 2000 on aftermarket  (I think it was rk, or ek, can't remember. 

What forks do you have on your xr?

DID 520VT2 T ring chain, aluminum rear, and steel front.  Combo lasts years.

Aftermarket sprockets can be difficult to find because of changes in rear hubs over the years and lack of demand.

84-02 XR200R rear sprockets:
Moose sprocket #M601-47-xx fits:
84-02 XR200R
84-89 XR250R
99-08 YZ125/250.......
01-08 YZ/WR250F
99-02 YZ/WR400/426F
03-08 YZ/WR450F

J&T  #JTR245/2-47,

Sunstar  steel: #91-0147,
Sunstar AL: #92-2747

Renthal Twin Ring  #1500-520-49GPSI (silver)

81-83 XR200R rear sprockets:
J&T  #JTR254-50:

80-81 XR200 rear sprockets:
J&T  #JTR1947-48,

• Like 2

Thanks for the references and part #s Chuck, that's helpful since I plan on changing out my chain and sprockets eventually. 

On another note pertaining to sprockets..  The ohv place I go to ride local has 4 different trails. The green allows 4wheelers so is pretty open and fast but with a lot of switchbacks and tight turns. The red, blue, and black are all single track, mostly tight woods with some small and tight climbs, all with their occasional areas to ride fast. Based on what I've described, would you have any recommendations on gearing? 

I don't wanna spend a ton of money trying a ton of combinations 

Daniel

Loaded question but my experience with stock XR200s is to use a 12 tooth counter shaft sprocket; easy, cheap, and best performance improvement for the money. Use the OEM style mounting clip with two bolts, not the aftermarket C clip.  The later can allow severe case damage from the chain. 

The stock engine is an easy rever and has good top end power, but a bit soft on the bottom compared to a modded engines. The late models have 17" rear wheels and IMO the IRC VE tire is the best match for traction and engine power.  I had an well tuned early XR200 with an 18" rear wheel, and with a 12 tooth counter shaft it has recorded 70mph on GPS with me sitting upright, so you won't give up much top end with a 12 tooth and 17" tire.  
In general I like 2nd gear to be the working gear with 1st a backup for gnarly slow stuff. With a 12 you will be able to climb almost any hill in 2nd unless you lose a lot of bike speed, then there is 1st. I had a 90 with so many trail miles that 2nd gear had a whine.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

I put a supersprox stealth rear sprocket on my '08 CBR600RR when I did the 520 conversion. As for noticing the weight difference while riding, I don't think I'd have ever noticed that. I only got 2000 miles on it before the new chain broke and took out the motor. The sprocket barely showed any wear, of course 2000 miles isn't much. Pretty bad, I got 25,000 miles on stock 525 chain that was still going, but only 2000 on aftermarket  (I think it was rk, or ek, can't remember. 

The forks are from an '07 CR85R.

My experience with the aluminum was on a yz250F, so maybe I was wrong is assuming the same wear on the XR

I got a PBI Rr Aluminum Sprocket and hard anodized mine, hard ano is still there, but finally showing signs of wear. 

The stocker is actually quite light as it is a very thin steel sprocket, vs. the wider aluminum one I replaced it with.

As I remember, only a 7oz weight savings. I would have no problem replacing with another stocker when the 

aluminum wears out, FWIW. 

I saved 7oz going from the XR200R Rr aluminum hub to a XR250R magnesium hub. The only thing left from a weight

savings in the Rr of the bike for me would have been to replace the very heavy steel collar in the hub and or some type of

alternative axle and snail collars.  At some point and time you have to weigh up the cost vs. benefit of weight savings. 

Michael 

Try an 'ironman' rear sprocket. Only about 4oz. heavier than a comparable aluminum one. I'm using one on my CRF. Looks real cool too, like spokes with a ring of teeth. And we all know how important lookin cool is  ;)