Fork seals Leaking

hi guys,

I have two questions that may be even related to each other

Here's some background...I changed my oil/oil filter today and when I was done I noticed my front right fork seal was leaking. After doing some research I realize that I may have put to much oil in the bike as I put 1.8 quarts and now I'm reading to put in 1.5 quarts. So...

Question 1. Does changing the oil have anything to do with leaking fork seals seeing as I put to much oil in? And if not should I take it in for service or can I solve this my self

Question 2. Is Putting that extra oil in the bike going to hurt the bike?

Thanks!

1. Nothing at all to do with each other, 2 completely different systems.  You need to get them serviced to have a new fork seal put in.  There is a chance that it might be just dirt in the seal, in which case a sealmate tool or something similar would do the trick.

2.  Potentially, yes.  it would be easy to just crack the drain plug and drain a bit out.  Just make sure the bike is level and make sure you see oil in the check window between the lines, that is a good level.  This could save you a whole lot of money and time.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 10:33 PM, redtailin said:

Nothing at all to do with each other

You're a good man with a great answer  ....  :thumbsup:      I was expecting a little sarcasm ... :lol:  

Ha thanks! I started to type more, but I remembered when I didn't know much and looked to the internet for answers (and still do!)

• Like 1

the sealmate that redtailin mentions looks like this logo.png  basically just a thin flexible card with a hook on the end that you run around the edge of the fork seal to de-spooge it (sorry for using highly technical jargon)

here's a video of how to use one.

as you can see from the video, you don't need anything fancy. heck you don't even need the sealmate, you just need something thin but sturdy with a bit of a hook cut into the end that can slide up into the fork seal and let  you pull all the goo down. just make sure you're not PUSHING up into the seal. that be bad. scrape around the thing to get a place where you can get up behind the spooge for proper de-spoogeification

• Like 1