Honda CR250 oversize brake rotor kit confusion. HELP!

I have a 2004 CR250.  I was upgrading the brakes and bought a 270mm oversize rotor with the associated re-locating bracket.  The new relocation bracket does not fit the forks on my 2004 CR250.  I also have a 2012 CRF450 and it looks like this kit will likely fit that bike.  Since these kits will reportedly fit a 2004-2007 CR250 as well as the CRF250R 2004-2014 and the CRF450R 2004-2014, I am thinking I may have an earlier generation fork on my bike and the re-location bracket I was shipped is correct.

Can anyone help me identify these forks based on the caliper bracket and possibly suggest the right caliper bracket for a 270mm rotor?

Thanks!

InkedIMG_1969_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_1970_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_1971_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_1960_LI.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Matthew Bailey

They all are identical to my 2001 cr250r's parts with the factory markings & all. Thats the caliper & both mounting brackets for I did the conversion as well. I also have a 2002 crf450r & the factory markings (referring to the KCY on the stock bracket) are not on it's stock bracket but both calipers are identical & marked the same & all parts are interchangeable I know for sure because my cr250r's stock rotor & bracket are on the 450r now for they are in better condition than the 450's were when I did the conversion on my 01 cr250r.

• Like 2

Ok guys, thanks for the quick and informative replies.  I believe the previous owner also owned a 2001 CR250.  Sounds like I am enjoying that front end.  Here she is.

IMG_1850.JPG

3 hours ago, Byron909 said:

In '95 honda went to the 100mm spacing. Changed it again in 04.

nice bike!

Awesome, thanks!  Looks like I have the 100mm spacing for sure.

I have been searching far and wide.  Does anyone know who might carry an oversized caliper bracket that would fit a 1995-2003 CR 250?  I have been looking everywhere without much luck.

Thanks guys!

I ordered a Galfer oversize rotor and bracket kit for a 1997-2003 CR250.  This should have the 100mm spacing I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galfer-SKW-Oversize-Rotor-Kit-KITOS231-HONDA-CR125R-CR250R-CRF450R-/252973760047?fits=Year%3A2001|Model%3ACR250R&hash=item3ae6693e2f:g:-G4AAOSwaeRZM-6b&vxp=mtr

Awesome forum!  Very helpful members!  Thanks again!

Edited by Matthew Bailey
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!
I ordered a Galfer oversize rotor and bracket kit for a 1997-2003 CR250.  This should have the 100mm spacing I need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galfer-SKW-Oversize-Rotor-Kit-KITOS231-HONDA-CR125R-CR250R-CRF450R-/252973760047?fits=Year%3A2001|Model%3ACR250R&hash=item3ae6693e2f:g:-G4AAOSwaeRZM-6b&vxp=mtr
Awesome forum!  Very helpful members!  Thanks again!

Will they let you swap it or do you want/need to sale it?

I think i will keep it and use it on the 450.  Got the new kit installed.  Fits great.  New stainless line too.  Feels great.  Rode it for about a mile to bed the pads in.  Feels awesome.

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

Might I ask the reason for the larger rotor?

I did the same thing, only I went to 280MM... Honestly, it did not make that much difference-if any. Then I went to semi-metallic Honda pads... Still does not stop as well as my friends all stock KTM. Mine is an '01CR250. I get NO LOVE from the front brakes on this bike. That's why I'm asking why you went with a larger rotor-are you trying to improve the stopping on the front?

Ha ha I rode a 2017 KTM the other day as welI.  I was pretty amazed by the front brakes on that thing.  That's what motivated me to work on the brakes on the CR.  I bought a set of OEM pads and after looking at the original rotor I decided to replace it as well.  I didn't wat to trash the new pads on the old rotor.  While I was at it I replaced the original front brake line that was getting a little 'soft'.  I went with the larger rotor to give me caliper more leverage (mechanical advantage). At any rate it's a night and day difference.  Way better than when the bike was brand new.

I'm running a larger rotor than you, Honda semi-metallic pads, late/later model brake master & lever for better leverage (2012 CRF450R), Galfer stainless braided brake line, and it is CRAP compared to my friends KTM. I can 1 finger his front brake and darn near do a STOPPIE on accident. If I want my front end to stop I have to grab a handful, and hope & pray that something happens before I hit whatever it is that has caused me to grab the front brake lever in the first place. I've learned to not rely on the brakes, and just DUCK, DODGE, DIVE whatever obstacle is in front of me.

I used to ride an old Yamaha TT600 dirt bike that had front DRUM brakes.. Same type of power I'm getting from my 250 right now.

What kind of pads are you guys using?  Are you sure the system is bled properly?  There's got to be a reason your front brakes are weak.  Try zip tying your brake lever to the bars overnight before you ride, it'll help a bit.