KYB SSS stiction optimization

Hello,

first of all i want to apologize for my spelling, english is not my first language :D

I ride a TM EN, and the next time i service it i want to get as much out oft it as possible. Im relatively happy with the valving, it just feels quiet sticky in the initial part of the stroke and if you are standing still and pushing down on it. Bushings are new and i have a Set of SKF seals installed.

I was going to crosshatch the inner tubes, is there something else i can do, for example shim the bushings? Whats the difference between a "normal" fork and for example a set of Öhlins RFX or Sölva legs? I cant feel any sticktion there at all, they are just so extremely smooth.

I talked to a coating company, they told me that DLC doesn´t really affect stiction, it reduces  friction between two metal surfaces, in a fork you dont really have that. It´s more usefull to crosshatch the tubes so you always have a little bit of oil on your inner tubes to lubricate the seals.

I hope i didn´t ask anything stupid, if so i apologize :unsure:

Cross hatch is all you can do to help

What grit of wet/dry sandpaper or emery cloth would you recommend?

I've asked about shimming bushings before and almost nobody seems to have any experience with it.  Seems like a logical thing to do though.  On KYB legs there's a noticeable amount of radial slop at the bushing interfaces once everything is installed.

What fork oil are you using?

I love Dexron VI ATF in my SSS forks. Inner and Outer oil. If you compare the viscosity values for 40C the low vis ATF is equivalent to about 5.5wt Motorex.

13 minutes ago, numroe said:

What fork oil are you using?

I love Dexron VI ATF in my SSS forks. Inner and Outer oil. If you compare the viscosity values for 40C the low vis ATF is equivalent to about 5.5wt Motorex.

I am running some special Blend from a local tuner, i dont really know whats in it to be honest. But its even cheaper than most name brand oils. Pretty much everyone is happy with it, including myself. Before that i was runing Maxima Raci

ng 5wt, it was o.k. but not as good as the oil that i´m running right now.

On 17.6.2017 at 11:05 PM, GHILL28 said:

I've asked about shimming bushings before and almost nobody seems to have any experience with it.  Seems like a logical thing to do though.  On KYB legs there's a noticeable amount of radial slop at the bushing interfaces once everything is installed.

Yea, i was thinking the same thing. But i dont know if they would get to tight further down in the stroke, if the fork is fully extended the bushings are very close together. Thats why i asked, i have some Shimming material at work, so that wouldn´t be the problem.

On 17.6.2017 at 5:08 PM, mlatour said:

What grit of wet/dry sandpaper or emery cloth would you recommend?

Everybody seems to have their own preference, but it would be nice hearing a few peoples opinion. I just got some scatterd information on the Internet, something about 1000 grit Sandpaper wet.

Euro grit and USA are different, the forks need slop in the bushes to some degree 800 to 1000 euro is nice and fine