Sign in to follow this  

Odd chain alignment issue

This is a second hand ktm 2015 250 with unknown history.  The front sprocket was shot so i replaced the chain and sprocket i noticed that when the axle blocks are aligned to where the chain is true there is a large difference in the bolts pushing on the blocks.  The blocks are very close to being equally aligned on both sides so this seems strange?

9bd9ed41-4440-4156-b00e-c59e4bb4d67b.jpg

1ae63460-37ab-4460-9ceb-088737058738.jpg

The blocks are very close to being equally aligned on both sides

Well..to me, the left side block (sprocket) needs to move backward a bit or the right side block Rotor) needs to move forward a bit to be more "equally aligned".  This would help reduce the discrepancy in the alignment screws depth.  I judge this by looking carefully (blown up image sin Photoshop) at how much of the rear "half moon" cutout on the swing arm is hanging out over the rear of alignment blocks.

This difference would probably not make up for the amount of difference in the alignment screws...but it would help.

Now if your "line up" of the sprockets and chain is spot on...this will also screw that up....so this may or may not help you...but its probably worth double checking that your really are perfectly aligned.

The only other things I can think of is....are the jam nuts/adjuster screws on both side on the swing arm identical?...they look the same shape/size...but they have a different coloration to them....just a thought.

Looks like your lower chain guide bolt is about to fall out. Is that running true?

Edited by Spud786

8 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Looks like your lower chain guide bolt is about to fall out. Is that running true?

The bike is being serviced with a new chain and the guide has not been put back 100%

8 hours ago, travertt said:

Well..to me, the left side block (sprocket) needs to move backward a bit or the right side block Rotor) needs to move forward a bit to be more "equally aligned".  This would help reduce the discrepancy in the alignment screws depth.  I judge this by looking carefully (blown up image sin Photoshop) at how much of the rear "half moon" cutout on the swing arm is hanging out over the rear of alignment blocks.

This difference would probably not make up for the amount of difference in the alignment screws...but it would help.

Now if your "line up" of the sprockets and chain is spot on...this will also screw that up....so this may or may not help you...but its probably worth double checking that your really are perfectly aligned.

The only other things I can think of is....are the jam nuts/adjuster screws on both side on the swing arm identical?...they look the same shape/size...but they have a different coloration to them....just a thought.

They are identical and i believe lining up the marks will offset the chain alignment

bent swing arm or wrong wheel bushings ? stand it up straight and step back to whats up