Hey guys, got a weird question for you,

My church is going to be in a small local 4th of july parade on a trailer and i am thinking about riding beside them with a couple buddies, i have a 2003 rm250 2 stroke with the stock gearing, do you think it's possible for me to go that slow? Would that be hard on the bike? As for as i know the parade won't be that long, thoughts?

I would think, riding at parade pace :

-it would be prone to fouling / spooging

-it would be prone to overheat

• Like 2

Proper jetting wouldn't foul, and you could always rev to clear it out. However, you may not notice if/how you're rich on the bottom if you ride track or trails that are fast.

overheating, idk about that, never over heated mine. Never done a parade either.closest would be sitting still stuck on a muddy rutted incline, refusing to turn around go down. I was determined to start out on the hill lol not saying that will be your case though.

gearing is what I'm unsure of for you.parades are really really slow. 2 strokes can run at really low rpms and not stall, as long as the throttle is cracked open a little. stock mx gearing I would assume would be relatively high in first.

can you figure out how fast(slow) the parade will be going? Vehicle idle speed? Practice riding along a idling vehicle or walking person

Edited by RawbW

40 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

it will be noisy and smoky...depends on what people are expecting...I always feel like a hooligan riding a 2-stroke in public...

Not a religious person myself but I'd think MX bikes (actually any motorcycle in general)

doesn't seem appropriate along a 'church' float during a parade,

perhaps attracting more attention than the float itself.

Unless it's part of a parade 'theme', not sure where the relation is ???

If you're willing to tinker a bit, lean out the pilot jet and run 60:1 (or less) premix for the length of the parade. 

Re-set your normal settings afterwards.

On stock gearing, there will be a lot of clutching involved. 

As suggested, try before hand following someone walking at somewhat slower than normal pace.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

:banghead: seriously? if this is just an excuse to ride your dirt bike on the road please reconsider. there will be people that will be annoyed by it.

• Like 2

We decorated my wife's TTR90 and my son's DRZ110 for our local Christmas parade last year and had a blast! Was it an excuse to ride on the street? Yes. Was it fun? Yes. Just do it and have a good time! We were reppin my wife's business (nail salon). I rode with our 4lb Yorkie and my kid just buzzed around and the wife (walking with clients) handed out candy and business cards.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

• Like 4

:banghead: seriously? if this is just an excuse to ride your dirt bike on the road please reconsider. there will be people that will be annoyed by it.

But that's half the fun. RIIIIING A DING DING

We decorated my wife's TTR90 and my son's DRZ110 for our local Christmas parade last year and had a blast! Was it an excuse to ride on the street? Yes. Was it fun? Yes. Just do it and have a good time! We were reppin my wife's business (nail salon). I rode with our 4lb Yorkie and my kid just buzzed around and the wife (walking with clients) handed out candy and business cards.

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.cfec2f0e1d145b0b6b8d6c318f9cf2a3.JPG

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.7330a1a5cfdc6241ca4bbbb2de78be6d.JPG

cool, how fast did the parade move?

Not a religious person myself but I'd think MX bikes (actually any motorcycle in general)
doesn't seem appropriate along a 'church' float during a parade,
perhaps attracting more attention than the float itself.
Unless it's part of a parade 'theme', not sure where the relation is ???

If you're willing to tinker a bit, lean out the pilot jet and run 60:1 (or less) premix for the length of the parade. 
Re-set your normal settings afterwards.
On stock gearing, there will be a lot of clutching involved. 
As suggested, try before hand following someone walking at somewhat slower than normal pace.

your exactly right, but i was going to get a sand dune flag and put the church's name on it

1 hour ago, mixgashaulbass said:

But that's half the fun. RIIIIING A DING DING

pissing off people (making dirt bikers look worse than they are) is half the fun? I must have been missing something all these years.

• Like 1

pissing off people (making dirt bikers look worse than they are) is half the fun? I must have been missing something all these years.

i know right, and to think, your pour soul was missing out all these years, but according to your photo you ride a kawasaki, so it's no biggie, i didn't expect anything else from a kawasaki rider

2 hours ago, mixgashaulbass said:

your exactly right, but i was going to get a sand dune flag and put the church's name on it

Hahahaha... I rode a Z50 Honda down the middle of the church pews as a kid to advertise a church family camp (that had karts & fun sporty stuff included) in Auckland New Zealand. Then a few years later, another guy rode a kdx220 through the office hall and hopped off to walk into a skit or play... Can't quite remember it was a few years ago now. 

While "the church" may not attract :facepalm: hooligans in general & the link from how the dirt bike "relates" to the parade maybe vague... It would be good to show other blokes that church folk are not always :lame: as often portrayed by media & movies... and sometimes you maybe sitting next to an adrenalin junkie in church :thumbsup:.

That said, if your community is judgmental of dirt bikers on the roads i'd respect that first. Usually two strokes need a few revs to keep them running sweet and you'd maybe have to circle around the back of the float especially during any stop/start occurrences that often happen in parades. Don't think i could be bothered jetting a bike for a parade run but each to their own.

Good luck if it goes ahead.   

Edited by surfez
  • Like 1

People don't watch parades to be bored. Be rude, be obnoxious, have fun, and make lots of smoke. They'll love it.

• Like 3