Jump to content

17' FE501 SM Reliability

Recommended Posts

So I have a DRZ right now, eventually I'd like to move up to something with a bit more power, lighter, better brakes, etc. There's a dealership by me that has a little fleet of FE501's they converted to supermoto with warp9's and all that good stuff. It wouldn't see dirt other then a few trackdays with a supermoto course.

Guess my few questions would be, is it reliable in terms of 2-4 hours of beating on it on backroads without having to do valve adjustments every 30 hours? I don't plan on commuting with the bike.

I'm completely content with changing my oil 500-1000 miles, I do it anyway on my DRZ just from my OCD I suppose lol. I am also fine with doing a top end rebuild thousands of miles down the road, but question being am I looking at every 10k? 40k?

It's coming down between the 501 and the 701 for me. If the 501 is more of a raw feeling between the two it's what I'm wanting, I don't mind the extra maintenance.

Thanks for any suggestions and info!

Edited by dotpeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The valve train is a lot stronger on the ktm , than the drz.

Pushing 28,000 miles 600 hours on my 2015 500, Ive yet to need any valve adjustment. The DRZ at least got adjusted twice in that time.

The ktm motors are double screened, plus filtered.

The 701 is going to be more street bikish feel (with a latter street bike frame), the 501 is a true dirt bike design and dirt bike frame to match.

 

The stators on the ktm seem to last as long or longer than the DRZ, Ive already surpassed DRZ failure average life.

 

The only thing the drz has better, is the Headlight, and maybe the seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spud786 said:

The valve train is a lot stronger on the ktm , than the drz.

Pushing 28,000 miles 600 hours on my 2015 500, Ive yet to need any valve adjustment. The DRZ at least got adjusted twice in that time.

The ktm motors are double screened, plus filtered.

The 701 is going to be more street bikish feel (with a latter street bike frame), the 501 is a true dirt bike design and dirt bike frame to match.

 

The stators on the ktm seem to last as long or longer than the DRZ, Ive already surpassed DRZ failure average life.

 

The only thing the drz has better, is the Headlight, and maybe the seat.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've also read a lot about reflashing the ECU and ripping out a lot of emissions stuff, did you wind up doing all that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2015, and yeah needed some work, both suspension and motor (choked up) and fueling, the 17's need it even more, as even more choked up and leaned out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had a DRZ 400. My '17 FE501 is so incredibly lighter I STILL can't believe it.

Definitely NOT a commuter bike though. Lots of vibration sitting at the traffic light. I have it in Super Moto mode right now and it is a blast.

Runs much hotter than my DRZ. 

I've desmogged, removed the reed valve, unplugged the stock muffler and had the Euro Map installed. Runs great, but the check engine light keeps coming on. 

Taking it in tomorrow to have the dealer check it AGAIN.

Ya know, the DRZ is kind of like a tractor. This thing is more of a sprint car. I'm taking it on the COBDR this summer. It will be interesting to compare to my old bike.

 

Oh, good news about the stator. I went through about 5 on my DRZ.

Edited by Filipe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.... oh, and chalk up another failed clutch slave cylinder. Mine failed in the dealer parking lot this morning. Dumped into my fresh oil. Good thing I have about 2 weeks left on my warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20170619_100602.jpg

 

I commute on it.   The stock seat is awful though lol  

 

Oil changes every 15 hours is not my favorite. 

Edited by Sigma Pi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2017 at 1:31 PM, Sigma Pi said:

IMG_20170619_100602.jpg

 

I commute on it.   The stock seat is awful though lol  

 

Oil changes every 15 hours is not my favorite. 

Assuming you've ridden other sumos before how does this thing compare in terms of throttle response with the fuel injection and power?

Edited by dotpeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dotpeek said:

Assuming you've ridden other sumos before how does this thing compare in terms of throttle response with the fuel injection and power?

I cant give you a good answer, the other one I have is an XR400R so this is light years better.    I have putted around a DRZ and this feels lighter but I didnt get on the DRZ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those running a supermoto setup, what size rear tires are you running? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×