Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have a ttr125 regular and I haven't rode it more than 50 times and i've had a little experience with 4 wheelers but never owned one. I want a little bit bigger bike but I also have always wanted a 2 stroke. Im not interested in yamaha or suzuki. I'm not a racer and I don't plan on getting into racing but I want a 2 stroke. I'm 15 years old, 5'6, and 130lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bansheeboy said:

I have a ttr125 regular and I haven't rode it more than 50 times and i've had a little experience with 4 wheelers but never owned one. I want a little bit bigger bike but I also have always wanted a 2 stroke. Im not interested in yamaha or suzuki. I'm not a racer and I don't plan on getting into racing but I want a 2 stroke. I'm 15 years old, 5'6, and 130lbs.

KTM or HUSKY 150cc should work well. Way more power than your ttr.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1210445-2017-150-xc-w-review/

Edited by Dwrizzol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dwrizzol said:

KTM or HUSKY 150cc should work well. Way more power than your ttr.

im not trying to kill myself thats too much power

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bansheeboy said:

im not trying to kill myself thats too much power

It is all about throttle control. They also make 125cc

Edited by Dwrizzol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a Honda xr200 or crf230 if your not into racing. The xr is bullet proof. Don't worry that the bike is over 125cc it's a trails bike not a race bike but still if you abuse the throttle the bike will throw you down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 93rm125P said:

Get a Honda xr200 or crf230 if your not into racing. The xr is bullet proof. Don't worry that the bike is over 125cc it's a trails bike not a race bike but still if you abuse the throttle the bike will throw you down.

I agree those may be a better choice but the OP specified 2t. 150cc XC is a trail bike, but a fast one, personally I think it could be good as with some decent throttle control it should be manageable as well as a bike he can grow into...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about a 125 2 stroke? I don't race but I would take it to the track eventually and trail ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bansheeboy said:

I was thinking about a 125 2 stroke? I don't race but I would take it to the track eventually and trail ride.

Like I said before it is all about throttle control. I have a 525cc EXC; do I need all that horsepower? No definitely not. But with larger displacement you get a wider powerband and more torque. If I ride my 525 with throttle control and short shift it it is as tame as your ttr. If I wrap it WFO it is scarey fast. Just my 2 cents but I feel it is better to have more power than you need than need the power and not have it...

Read this thread and learn about the 150. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1210445-2017-150-xc-w-review/

 

Edited by Dwrizzol
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New or used?  What's your budget?  

A YZ125 would probably be a good move for you but you said you didn't want a Yamaha.  If you are doing trails more than track see if you can find a KTM 200 XC-W or if your budget allows it a new 150 XC-W.  They are probably similar in total power to a 125 MX bike but they have heavier flywheels and broader power that makes them better for riding woods.

125 MX bikes are fun but they can be tricky to ride well in technical trails.  They make like 33 horsepower but it's like a light switch.  When you're off the pipe the bike it making 8-10 horsepower and when you get on the pipe you're making 30+.  So trying to pick your wait up a hard slow technical hill climb can be a challenge.  I think for experienced riders they are a blast but for someone developing skills it can be a bit frustrating.  

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's your budget?

A 125 MX bike is a full size bike. There is a substantial difference in size. It's also around a 500% increase in horsepower. Have you thought about a big wheel 85/100 first? That way you could get accustom to "non-beginner" level power in a chassis that would still be bigger than the TTR, yet more manageable for your small statue than a full size bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trtr 125 is under powered, over weight & handles like a dead cow for the experienced rider but to a newbie, it has some low end for tractability in the woods. I bought my wife one, what a pig! (The bike not my wife) what a pile to start!

I modified the air box, rejected the carb, replaced the pipe & put a yz 85 front end on it!  Starts like a champ now that it can breath & gas flows better, handles like a champ & better throttle response! 

It wont hold a candle to a YZ85 but as a trail bike that won't bottom or wash out every Jump or turn it was made to be a playful dependable bike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2017 at 8:50 AM, Doc_d said:

New or used?  What's your budget?  

A YZ125 would probably be a good move for you but you said you didn't want a Yamaha.  If you are doing trails more than track see if you can find a KTM 200 XC-W or if your budget allows it a new 150 XC-W.  They are probably similar in total power to a 125 MX bike but they have heavier flywheels and broader power that makes them better for riding woods.

125 MX bikes are fun but they can be tricky to ride well in technical trails.  They make like 33 horsepower but it's like a light switch.  When you're off the pipe the bike it making 8-10 horsepower and when you get on the pipe you're making 30+.  So trying to pick your wait up a hard slow technical hill climb can be a challenge.  I think for experienced riders they are a blast but for someone developing skills it can be a bit frustrating.  

Doc

so I shouldnt get a 125 2 stroke because its not good for trails, but I should get the ktm 150xcw because its a 2 stroke made for trails?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on how new you are to the game, like doc says the power bands on small bikes are radical! Not a lots of torque but a lot of power   All at once that can leave you on your. Bottom real quick. If you have the $$ the 150 is nice or spend a few bucks  10 or so on a main jet& a needle jet, carve the air box up a little, (makes a wild of difference) get used to riding, ride other people's bikes until you find something that works for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×