I got a free SP200, thing is in bad shape

CIqyKEo.jpg

VsP3W7Z.jpg

This is a 1987 Suzuki SP200

My uncle gave it to me... thing is badddd shape. Huge rats nest in the airbox, oil inside the airbox since it laying on the ground for over a year outside. The carbuertor is cracked and broken, the key is missing, no title, everything is broken... throttle cables are seized, brake lever has no pressure, rear brake disconnected, clutch cable seized. This thing is a NUGGET.

However, it's not all bad news... I pulled the spark plug out of it and put a compression gauge on it and she had about 105 PSI after 4 kicks. That's actually pretty damn good all things considered.... I didn't pay anything for the bike so maybe I can put a few bucks into it and bring it back to life one last time..

The plan: well, first things first she needs a carb. I may be able to weld the crack, but I think it's pretty safe to say it's f'd. The carb is a Mikuni BST32 flat side. I've been looking online and I cannot find one, I'm wondering if I can maybe find a replacement carb that will fit... any ideas? Then it will be replacing the cables, new throttle cable, new clutch cable. BUT before all of that I want to see if she even has spark... I didn't test that today, but I will. It's going to be difficult without the key. I am going to try screwdriving the ignition, and if that doesn't work then i'll just touch the ignition wires together. If I can get spark, then I know she has spark, compression and all that's left is fuel... I'll definitely fork out the cash for that. If I cannot get the spark figured out then this project may end before it starts. 

Anyway, I'm here to learn as much as I can from you guys. :) I hope I get at least a couple responses to this post! I love tinkering with old bikes and this isn't going to be the first bike I've brought back from the dead, definitely the first suzuki I've ever messed with though. I'm 24 years old so still much to learn :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

im thinking DR200 carb would be a close match  :excuseme:

i was thinking the same thing.. but the DR uses the BST31 carb (vs the BST32 the SP uses...) Not sure if they're compatible or not.. 

so the dif between the 31 & 32 is only 1mm ? on the intake manifold ? if so - not much of a stretch

On 6/18/2017 at 0:41 AM, S.O.A.N.Z said:

so the dif between the 31 & 32 is only 1mm ? on the intake manifold ? if so - not much of a stretch

I was reading online and some people said that you can use a VM34 carb on the SP200... If that's possible then that would be awesome because a YM34 carb is much more cheaper and available than the DR or SP stock carb.

13 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

could only try i guess  :thumbsup:

Before I try that I need to see if I have spark first. Unfortunately without a key I have to somehow get the ignition to work without it. I tried screwdriver it but it didn't seem to work. 

I'm also in the process of painting the whole bike red, figured if it looked half decent it might give me more incentive to work on it. lol