so how bad is my riding

got my 05 kx250f back together a few weeks ago and got bored today so i went out for a ride today only mods to it are 270 big bore kit , fmf factory 4 / ti4 ex system , oh yeah and the ever present leaky fork seals 

heres a video of one of my favorite sections of the loop we have that starts intown and goes out about 40 miles and comes back into town

so just how bad do i ride ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Cant see much of your riding style - just the front of the bike 

im actually sitting for most of it ( i do stand at times though), i have crushed disc's in my lower back that make it painful to ride standing, im a self admitted noob when it comes to riding started riding a few years ago on a low powered xr200 then to an xr250r and now the kx , though up until last summer and just recently this year i havent been riding alot

ive seen a few places in my video where i should have stayed on the throttle longer , or braked later , or not at all , thats more the kind of feedback i was hoping to get 

i do have a secoond camera ill have to get a bar mount for it so i can mount it looking back at me 

Edited by project89

17 minutes ago, NVDESERTPETE said:

Gloves!

i know, i couldnt find them before i left so i said f it , figures when i got home they were sitting on the table nexto my door. it actually felt weird riding without them  

On 6/17/2017 at 8:52 PM, project89 said:

i know, i couldnt find them before i left so i said f it , figures when i got home they were sitting on the table nexto my door. it actually felt weird riding without them  

cornering is a bit hard for me , just because i got seriously hurt a while back when the front washed out on me in a corner , broken collar bone, shoulder, fingers and foot , all in one shot 

so i still have that fear of it happening again but ive been getting better about it slowly 

• Like 3

On 6/20/2017 at 2:33 PM, project89 said:

cornering is a bit hard for me , just because i got seriously hurt a while back when the front washed out on me in a corner , broken collar bone, shoulder, fingers and foot , all in one shot 

so i still have that fear of it happening again but ive been getting better about it slowly 

From what I have learned and have been taught, the key to cornering is to lay the bike over as you accelerate out of the turn, and keep your butt on the top edge of the seat.  Meaning, if you are turning left, your butt should be on the right side edge of your seat.  People also make the mistake of putting their foot down in a turn.  What you want to do is keep your inside foot as close to front axle as possible (obviously without putting your foot in the spokes).  This helps keep weight on the front wheel and helps prevent washout.  Also, when in doubt, throttle out.  Seriously, when in a turn, if the bike starts to drop on you like it's going to fall over, crack the throttle.  The momentum of acceleration will straighten the bike out and project it forward instead of downward.  Just don't give it too much and loop out.  Half throttle is plenty on my YZ450.

I'm no pro, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.  But, this is what works for me.  Hope it helps.

This is my golden rule for any type of motorcycling:  Practice and don't be scared.  It is ok to be cautious, but fear causes hesitation, and hesitation causes mistakes.  Have fun and enjoy yourself and ride at whatever pace your comfortable with.  It's all about the joy of the ride.

thanks, ivve been thinking about heading back up there again today , and giving it another go, but my back tire is shot , ordered a replacement 2 weeks ago and its still not here :(

need to get the motor in my honda fixed so i can stop wearing out tires on the kx riding it back and forth to work everyday

i went back up there again , i changed up my riding position slightly and it made a huge difference , being as tall as i am i sit a bit to far back

i think if i raise the fork tubes in the clamps a bit it should help with getting more wieght on the front tire 

for whatever reason moving foward the bit that i did seemed to give e more forward bite as well , though my rear tire is pretty much gone so hard to say untill i get a new tire which unfortunatly is backordered and wont ship till the 17th

i actually got threw the first section much faster in the corners but then the back pain came on so strong i just had to take it easy , im not supposed ot be riding right now but its so hard to give up 

im feeling decent today so i think im going to grab the camera and head out in about an hour and see if i can improve getting threw that section , maybe ill do a side by side video so i can actually compare the 2 different rides so i can see where i got faster , and where i slowed down and what i need to correct or fix on the way i ride  

Edited by project89
  • Like 2

Good to hear! Except the back pain part, I literally feel your pain there.  I have a herniated lower disc myself.  But, yes, moving your weight up onto the tank makes a huge difference.  Don't forget to keep your body upright when leaning the bike over in corners.  Keep practicing, it will become more and more natural.

6 minutes ago, High On Octane said:

Good to hear! Except the back pain part, I literally feel your pain there.  I have a herniated lower disc myself.  But, yes, moving your weight up onto the tank makes a huge difference.  Don't forget to keep your body upright when leaning the bike over in corners.  Keep practicing, it will become more and more natural.

the biggest thing i noticed by moving forward was the front suspension worked so much better , instead of bouncing over rocks and bumps it absorbed them much much better 

i softened up the compression one click today and took a click of rebound out of it so we will see if that also helps 

i had to stiffen the rear slightly as i was getting wheel hop under hard braking though 

the back pain sucks this ive learned to live with it as ive had this injury since highschool but some days its so bad i can barley sit in a chair stand or walk, u know its bad when u lay in bed and it still hurts 

Edited by project89

good day ? bad day ? still havent decided yet 

Kb10YsC.jpg

Edited by project89

so anyways ur tips really helped , i absolutely blasted threw that section after the first few corners and i got some confidence the front wasnt going to wash out on me , i had a friggen blast , so after i got to the end of the section i headed up onto another trail ive only been on once , and was trying to keep the same pace which i did right up until i took that picture 

ended up going up a really steep hill at speed thinking it leveled off at the top like most of the hills around here do , but nope not this one u had to make a hard right at the top to stay on the trail , what i ended up doing was going right off the other side of it and getting a chest full of bars fracturing a few ribs , had it not been for the chest protector it would have been much worse , ive had that thing for over a year now and that was my second time wearing it , wont ever go out without it again

gimmie a few weeks (2) and ill be back out there , ive still got all the video footage i just need the time to edit it and upload it 

On 7/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, project89 said:

so anyways ur tips really helped , i absolutely blasted threw that section after the first few corners and i got some confidence the front wasnt going to wash out on me , i had a friggen blast , so after i got to the end of the section i headed up onto another trail ive only been on once , and was trying to keep the same pace which i did right up until i took that picture 

ended up going up a really steep hill at speed thinking it leveled off at the top like most of the hills around here do , but nope not this one u had to make a hard right at the top to stay on the trail , what i ended up doing was going right off the other side of it and getting a chest full of bars fracturing a few ribs , had it not been for the chest protector it would have been much worse , ive had that thing for over a year now and that was my second time wearing it , wont ever go out without it again

gimmie a few weeks (2) and ill be back out there , ive still got all the video footage i just need the time to edit it and upload it 

Seriously?!  That sure is coincidental....  I cased a big tabletop 4th of July weekend and took the end of my handlebars to my chest, bounced off them and flew 20' and got knocked out.  Broke my sternum, broke #7 rib in my right arm pit, and a concussion.  I'm out for several weeks myself.  Hope you feel better.  And now you know, as a general rule, blind single track take in 1st gear your first time around.  ;)

On 2017-06-17 at 7:34 PM, project89 said:

so just how bad do i ride ?

Well, did you go for a ride to have fun?  Did you have fun?  Then you rode just fine!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Doc_speeder said:

Well, did you go for a ride to have fun?  Did you have fun?  Then you rode just fine!!

i always have fun no matter what, but i always want to improve and get faster / better 

14 hours ago, High On Octane said:

Seriously?!  That sure is coincidental....  I cased a big tabletop 4th of July weekend and took the end of my handlebars to my chest, bounced off them and flew 20' and got knocked out.  Broke my sternum, broke #7 rib in my right arm pit, and a concussion.  I'm out for several weeks myself.  Hope you feel better.  And now you know, as a general rule, blind single track take in 1st gear your first time around.  ;)

i defiantly should have been going down the unfamiliar trail slower , but was hard to do after riding the other one, hope ya heal up quick as well 

its only been a week for me and im already riding the farm bikes around for farm work hurts a lil bit , and was on my kx on the farm today , i think another 1-2 weeks ill be able to head back out again, i heal up pretty fast myself 

• Like 1

getting better i guess , my back tire is so bald its like im on ice though so had to be easy on it , now if they would just ship my damn tire already id be set 

• Like 1

so im having toruble with the bike trying to throw me up over the bars over whoops and bumps , this just means i need to slow down the rebound right ?

before i was having issues with the front tire not staying planted over rocks and rough ground , ive got that sorted and now this new issue is poping up, anyone got some guidancee on suspension adjustment ?