05 & 08 530 EXC Must Know

Hey everyone, I have two buddies who just bought 05' and 08' 530 EXCs. The 05' was a barn find with only 350 miles, the 08' has high miles, @7k, but according to the previous owner mostly highway and logging trails. They asked me what to look out for and what immediate maintenance needs to be addressed but I have no idea as I ride a late model XCF. Any tips would be appreciated.

Some 05s had an intermediate gear issue, I never changed my gear and I have 8,000 miles with no issues. I had a water pump seal leek but its an easy fix. I had to replace my oil sight glass early on.   The 08s were great motors if the fixes were done.  Maybe some one knows.  I think three things.   Both probably will have some oil seepage at the counter shaft.  The front brake on both usually needs to do the clamp to the hand grip for an hour or so.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys, I'll pass on the knowledge. Now it's time for me to go EXC

05 should be pretty reliable, but intake valves are known to move.  

08 may or may not have oil migration/burning issues, fixes are mostly cheap and easy.  With 7k miles, it's probably either been done or doesn't need it.  Keep an eye on the oil level.