Sign in to follow this  

Yz450 won't start

I have an 07 450 that I just can't figure out. I have replaced the shims set the timing to TDC, cleaned/rebuilt the carb, and replaced the spark plug but the thing still wont start. When I try to roll start it,  it will almost start but not quite fire up completely and then die. I'm kind of at a loss on what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

Make sure your timing marks are in fact on, and recheck your valve clearance to make sure they are in spec.  Did you actually soak the carb in solvent, or just spray it out with carb clean?  Is the a/p squirting like it should?  If you're good there, check to make sure you have spark.  

FWIW I've been tracking a bad hot stalling issue for months.  Went thru the valves, and adjusted and cleaned the carb at least 3 different times.  Finally, the bike actually shut off on me two different times after it got hot, and realized I had an intermittent ignition coil.

Thank you for your advice, I'm me the the bike fixing game so I had not thought to check the ignition coil. I'll recheck all my work again but I think it might be a bad coil. The guy I bought it from said out just stopped running one day and has not started since. 

Edited by Scott Dietz