What dirt bike should i buy?

Hello i am selling my 04 yz250f because all i do is ride trails, hit hill climbs maybe sometimes single track. the bike is nickle and diming me because of it's age and plus i am 5'7 140 and can't ride it hard enough because i'm kinda small for bike. i don't know a bike to buy after i sell it. i need something with great reliability, and somewhat easy maintenance btw i can't deal with another valve issue!! ? i want something that is a good trail bike but has good torque and power. i'm not looking for the 250 power. i was considering the crf230f but is it to small for me? And how are the reliability on 125 2 strokes? i'm 5'7 140. Suggestions welcome please!!  forgot to mention i have good experience on dirt bikes i have been riding for about 3 years from a ssr 125 to a cr80r now to a 250.

Edited by Cam the man

Some say the Ktm 300 is the best thing since slice bread, everyone that says different is wrong

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cam the man said:

Hello i am selling my 04 yz250f because all i do is ride trails, hit hill climbs maybe sometimes single track. the bike is nickle and diming me because of it's age and plus i am 5'7 140 and can't ride it hard enough because i'm kinda small for bike. i don't know a bike to buy after i sell it. i need something with great reliability, and somewhat easy maintenance btw i can't deal with another valve issue!! ? i want something that is a good trail bike but has good torque and power. i'm not looking for the 250 power. i was considering the crf230f but is it to small for me? And how are the reliability on 125 2 strokes? i'm 5'7 140. Suggestions welcome please!!  forgot to mention i have good experience on dirt bikes i have been riding for about 3 years from a ssr 125 to a cr80r now to a 250.

All valve issues are due to neglect and poor maintenence.

Any bike you buy will be the same in this area

You should probably look at a 2007 or later YZ250 two stroke if you can't handle the four stroke experience

Better to be thought a fool, than to buy a KTM and remove all doubt

• Like 1

thank you Kramie, what do you think about the crf230f for me, and are the 125 2 strokes reliable and easier maintenance than 4 strokes

Hello i am selling my 04 yz250f because all i do is ride trails, hit hill climbs maybe sometimes single track. the bike is nickle and diming me because of it's age and plus i am 5'7 140 and can't ride it hard enough because i'm kinda small for bike. i don't know a bike to buy after i sell it. i need something with great reliability, and somewhat easy maintenance btw i can't deal with another valve issue!! i want something that is a good trail bike but has good torque and power. i'm not looking for the 250 power. i was considering the crf230f but is it to small for me? And how are the reliability on 125 2 strokes? i'm 5'7 140. Suggestions welcome please!!  forgot to mention i have good experience on dirt bikes i have been riding for about 3 years from a ssr 125 to a cr80r now to a 250.

Cam it sounds like you are on the right track with a 230 ... if a 250f was to much power for you than a 230 is a move in the right direction... if intimate maintenance is not your thing then again the 230 wins .. their pretty much a change the oil, clean the air filter kind of bike ... valves are almost never an issue on them.

Two strokes are generally more reliable and require less maintenance then 4 strokes but you also have to mess with mixing oil and more detailed jetting .. but IMO this only pertains to race bikes 2/4 stroke

230s are a great bullet proof bike for a causal /play rider who wants to have fun and not fight the bike ... but on the flip side your more likely to out grow the ability of a 230 as your skill and speed grow ... but on a bigger bike if your spending most of your ride fighting the bike your going to be miserable just like ridding your 250f

But to put my entire speech into contradicting perspective I ride a 450r, a yz250 smoker and have a beta 300rr in coming in the near future

Best bet is go to your local ridding spot and make friends with a 230 owner and ask to take it for a spin ...

8 minutes ago, Cspencemx said:

Cam it sounds like you are on the right track with a 230 ... if a 250f was to much power for you than a 230 is a move in the right direction... if intimate maintenance is not your thing then again the 230 wins .. their pretty much a change the oil, clean the air filter kind of bike ... valves are almost never an issue on them.

Two strokes are generally more reliable and require less maintenance then 4 strokes but you also have to mess with mixing oil and more detailed jetting .. but IMO this only pertains to race bikes 2/4 stroke

230s are a great bullet proof bike for a causal /play rider who wants to have fun and not fight the bike ... but on the flip side your more likely to out grow the ability of a 230 as your skill and speed grow ... but on a bigger bike if your spending most of your ride fighting the bike your going to be miserable just like ridding your 250f

But to put my entire speech into contradicting perspective I ride a 450r, a yz250 smoker and have a beta 300rr in coming in the near future

Best bet is go to your local ridding spot and make friends with a 230 owner and ask to take it for a spin ...

Thank you for this! 

Edited by Cam the man

2 minutes ago, The Anvil said:

Maybe a free ride or xtrainer

what is a free ride or xtrainer? never heard of it

what is a free ride or xtrainer? never heard of it

Google them. Some call them cheater bikes.

If the riding is fun and you are able to do it longer, don't let the brand of motorcycle stop you.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Better to be thought a fool, than to buy a KTM and remove all doubt

In your own words.....you did buy one:facepalm:

6 hours ago, RV Salesman Matt said:

cant believe no one said KTM 200?????!!!??? the dud is 140lbs

btw isnt there a section dedicated to this question?

How are the reliability and maintenance on th ktm 200. should i get the exc or ex i know the sx is the race bike. how would it feel in trails

Honestly, if you're trail riding and some track time. I'd get a wr250f. You can lower them and it's a pretty forgiving bike. I wouldn't get a YZ bike if you're doing trails, that's why Yamaha sells them as a race oriented bike. Not saying you can't make them more trail friendly though. The WR has a light and you could always make it street legal later on if your state allows it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr YumYums said:

Honestly, if you're trail riding and some track time. I'd get a wr250f. You can lower them and it's a pretty forgiving bike. I wouldn't get a YZ bike if you're doing trails, that's why Yamaha sells them as a race oriented bike. Not saying you can't make them more trail friendly though. The WR has a light and you could always make it street legal later on if your state allows it.

ok thanks, how is the reliability on the wr250f and i ride pretty hard on trails 

If you didnt like the 04 250f power then a 230f is a good bike for you. Very friendly and capable bikes.