Hi All,

I have two questions I am hopeful this forum can help me with.  I recently rebuilt the carburetor and I have two concerns:

1-I have noticed that at low revs (idle) it seems to sputter and muffle but improves as the fuel starts to flow.  Could this be due to too much fuel or too rich a setting on the idle mixture screw.  I set it at 1.5 turns as per the manual but maybe I need to walk it walk a bit?

2-Last night we got home after dark and I asked my son to put the bike away.  He started it and ran in for a couple of minutes (looking for his stand) and I noticed the exhaust pipe coming out of the block was glowing red.  Is this normal and I only saw it because it was dark because it was really glowing?

Thanks in advance,

Danny

It's normal for pipes to glow red when ticking over

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:06 AM, danieljanulewicz said:

Hi All,

I have two questions I am hopeful this forum can help me with.  I recently rebuilt the carburetor and I have two concerns:

1-I have noticed that at low revs (idle) it seems to sputter and muffle but improves as the fuel starts to flow.  Could this be due to too much fuel or too rich a setting on the idle mixture screw.  I set it at 1.5 turns as per the manual but maybe I need to walk it walk a bit?

2-Last night we got home after dark and I asked my son to put the bike away.  He started it and ran in for a couple of minutes (looking for his stand) and I noticed the exhaust pipe coming out of the block was glowing red.  Is this normal and I only saw it because it was dark because it was really glowing?

Thanks in advance,

Danny

1. could be that it's cold and you've got the choke on and so its sputtering?
My 350 does that after a new airfilter as the filter oil is drying and all of the solvents are being sucked through the engine. My idle normally settles back down after a couple of revs.

If the idle is not steady, it could be a leak on the intake or exhaust. You can try squirting the rubber intake parts  with carb cleaner to see if the idle changes once you've checked that the carb is secure/tight/straight.  Just try not to squirt the pipe. The carb cleaner might set your bike on fire if it gets on the hot exhaust.