XR650L chain noise

I have a recently acquired 2008 XR650L, 8k, which I bought fairly cheap as is not running.  I got it running and cleaned up, changes oil, new tires, chain and sprockets.  I hear a distinct clunking at low rpm, like the chain and front sprocket are binding heard and felt in the left foot rest.  The clunk is irregular without pattern, but consistent every few seconds.   I dont remember this with the old chain/sprockets.  It's only at lower rpm and stops when you grab the clutch.  I also have a clunk when dropping into first from neutral.  

I put on the XR650R front 15T sprocket and a XR650L rental stock one, no change  

Initially I thought about the trans.  I pulled the chain off and it ran fine thu the gears, no noises, even dropped into first without any clunk.  

Any ideas would be great, clutch? offer these symptoms?  

Is there a way to post a video of this noise, as I could if it would help  

Thank you

Edited by unplayable

Is the chain too tight?

With the bike on the sidestand and no weight on it, if you can push down with two fingers in the middle of the chain and just get it to touch the black plastic guide thingy, it's about right.  If you can't touch that with the chain, loosen it up a bit.  If you can touch the aluminum of the swingarm behind it, you're too loose.

Is there any chance that the master link is not the same width as the rest of the links in the chain?

As for clunking into first, blame that on clutch drag.

• Like 1

Master link is the same as the others.  Chain tension seems adequate.  I'm kinda at a loss on this one.  I'll try the chain on the loose side and see what happens.  Oil has maybe an hour on it, I'm not sure what the previous owner used, I'm running Yamalube as I have in all my bikes for years.  Would this clutch drag cause these symptoms? 

thanks again for your help.

I replaced the sliders, and the chain.  I went with a normal, non-oring chain.  The clunking is nearly gone.  I may adjust the chain tension a bit to see if I can get rid of it completely.  The sliders were very bad, all 3 of them were worn pretty thin. 

I always suggest checking chain slack with swingarm pivot, countershaft center, and rear axle all in a line- it must have some slack at that point in the travel, else it's too tight.