Front Brakes

Have you seated the new pads? They do not come seated from the factory.......

No, what is that exactly?
Have you seated the new pads? They do not come seated from the factory.......

No, what is that exactly?

Pads come shipped with non-precision flatness.

Your disc is also not precision flat.

The goal is to make them both mate together with no gaps.

This takes gradual brake pressue to slowly wear away the pads so they mate with the disc.

Usually 10 min of 30 seconds on, 30 seconds cool down, either on a hill, or using throttle while breaking. Start light and gradually increase pressue.

The key is not not glaze the pad before it is seated, so there must be cool down each time.

If you just throw on the pads and ride, you are guaranteed to glaze the high spots on the pad/disc mating surface, making the brakes work poorly.

If you are using sintered pads, this is much more difficult, as they do not wear very fast, and they get extremely hot very fast. It takes longer.

I usually break mine in at the beginning of a ride, using throttle and brake at the same time, on and off over 20 min.

• Like 4

Pads come shipped with non-precision flatness.
Your disc is also not precision flat.
The goal is to make them both mate together with no gaps.
This takes gradual brake pressue to slowly wear away the pads so they mate with the disc.
Usually 10 min of 30 seconds on, 30 seconds cool down, either on a hill, or using throttle while breaking. Start light and gradually increase pressue.
The key is not not glaze the pad before it is seated, so there must be cool down each time.
If you just throw on the pads and ride, you are guaranteed to glaze the high spots on the pad/disc mating surface, making the brakes work poorly.
If you are using sintered pads, this is much more difficult, as they do not wear very fast, and they get extremely hot very fast. It takes longer.
I usually break mine in at the beginning of a ride, using throttle and brake at the same time, on and off over 20 min.

That sounds reasonable. My bike has about 700 miles on it. Hope it's not too late.
  • Like 1