Alternative needle for 2014 KTM 150sx ?

I  have a KTM 150sx that I purchased last year.  Always has lots of spooge and smoke. 

Plug is always black.  It's running the recommended stock setup (N1EJ w/clip in 3rd slot,  180 Main,  40 idle). ASO 2 turns

We are at about 1200 ft here and in summer it's generally hot and humid (80-90 F)

Run AMSOIL and non ethanol premium at 40:1

I am a novice rider and generally do not ride the bike hard.  However, my son, who is  very experienced has the same issue when he rides it, and he rides

it hard, so I can't attribute all of this to me being an old slow poke. :)   Bike has about  60 hours on it.

It start's great, idles and doesn't foul plugs, BUT.... the plug is solid black all the time and like I said, bike smokes like crazy when you get on it, and you can feel it is

loaded up. If you open it up and clear it out, it loads back up immediately.

I was thinking of either trying to drop the needle down a slot to 2, or try an alternative needle.

Has anyone had any experience using the Suzuki NECJ needle in the 150sx?

My son has a 250sx and he swapped out the KTM needle for the above Suzuki needle and it made the bike run so much better it was unbelievable.

Thx in advance

I tried a couple suzuki needles along with the honda 1371. Ended up with the JD blue needle.  Pony up the money and buy the JD kit ,save yourself headache. For me i felt the best was the Blue needle 3rd clip, 185-188 main and a 40 pilot. 

9 hours ago, tmorriss said:

It's running the recommended stock setup

There's you problem right there , the manual is very conservative 

i would try a Suzuki necj  needle clip 3 and lower the main maybe even NEDJ clip 2 ( I recommended this for the 250 as well )

Well,

I ordered up a couple needles (NECJ and NEDJ).

I  swapped out the stock needle (N1EJ)  for the suzuki NECJ. Didn't touch anything else (yet), and it leaned the bike WAY out.

I only have a 182 main, which I am going to try going up on the main a little to see if that improves it, but right now it's way too lean.

If the doesn't do it, I'll probably try changing out the needle after that and try the NEDJ and see what happens.

Any other thoughts /suggestions from anyone who is or has tried this I'd be interested in hearing results.

20 hours ago, tmorriss said:

Well,

I ordered up a couple needles (NECJ and NEDJ).

I  swapped out the stock needle (N1EJ)  for the suzuki NECJ. Didn't touch anything else (yet), and it leaned the bike WAY out.

I only have a 182 main, which I am going to try going up on the main a little to see if that improves it, but right now it's way too lean.

If the doesn't do it, I'll probably try changing out the needle after that and try the NEDJ and see what happens.

Any other thoughts /suggestions from anyone who is or has tried this I'd be interested in hearing results.

I would try the NEDJ clip 3 ( that is if you got the necj in clip 3 now ), that main should be rich with a Suzuki needle 

Well, I've been at this on and off now for a few weeks.  None of these suzuki needles seem to be working with this 150sx

The NECJ seems a bit too lean and the NEDJ does make it a little richer, but the bike really has no BA**S now at all.

Has anyone successfully done this to a 150sx, without really degrading the power on the bike?

When my son did this to his 250sx, he had to move up on the main quite a bit. I did NOT do this because the main is already what I'd consider HUGE (180) for this bike, but maybe that is really what's need.  Could the needle really require an even larger main as GreenMt_rider suggests above?

I'm thinking this just isn't possible with the 150sx due to the much lower displacement of the motor and maybe I should go back to the original needle and try a bit smaller main? Some of it's probably how I ride (my son says just ride faster),  but I'm not 30 anymore (try 2x that :( ) and really am trying to NOT crash    haha  :)  

There just doesn't seem to be a happy medium here. 

Well,  I think I got it.  Not sure why it didn't seem to work as well the first time ,but I put the NEDJ back into the bike , clip 3 and it seems pretty good. I don't recall, but maybe it was just really hot that day, compared to today(which was 75-80  and ~ 65%RH).

Rode it about an hour through mixture of woods/fields and ended up after a plug check just a tick rich (deep brown, NOT black) with ASO 1.5, 180 main and the 40 idle

Thx to all who posted