Tools for steering stem bearing replacement

I watched the RMAM video and studied the manual

and came up with this list of tools needed:

- Steering stem spanner wrench Tusk at RMAM, $13

- Race remover: Park tool RMAM $30, 1-1/2 and larger size

- Bottom bearing removal: For the cheap chisel method, a set of three is good: Dasco is made in USA Amazon, $12

- Steering stem bearing installer Tusk at RMAM, $50

- Steering Stem Bearing Press Tusk at RMAM, $125

That last one is kind of pricey. Has anyone used all-thread and large washers or something as a cheaper alternative for pulling the bottom race into position? I did some searches in the forum but did not find much. 

Any cheap alternatives much appreciated! I will document with links and photos.

I think the only dedicated steering stem bearing tool I have is this one:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1056/32211/Tusk-Steering-Stem-Bearing-Installer

I actually bought that for my XR100 only to find that it doesn't come with an adapter small enough to use on the bearings for the 100.

I remove races with a sledge and set of drift punches and install new ones with the freezer, sockets, and a 2# sledge.  I've had no problems with this method.  In the past (not on the 230), I've had stubborn bearings that didn't want to come off, even with heat.  I used a dremel to cut the cage and a screwdriver to pry it off.  I'm just really careful to keep the wheel on the dremel away from the stem.

To be clear, I'm a bit of a tool snob and typically have no problems buying tools for jobs that can also be done with sockets and a hammer (for example).  If it's a job that I do maybe once every two years and the real tools are a couple hundred (or more), I usually cheap out.  That's only for tools that I can mimic in other ways though.  If it's difficult to do correctly with the "shade-tree" version, I'll usually bite the bullet and spend the money.  I haven't had any issues with steering bearings though.  YMMV.

Edited by baglock1

Been watching this guys videos for quite some time and he always shows how to do any job on a bike with simple workshop tools.  I've saved myself some money by watching his videos.  I actually just watched this video myself because I think my crf may need some new steering stem bearings as well, getting a clicking noise if I hold the front brake and compress the forks.

• Like 1

those prices are ridiculous

always used a drift to remove races - but if stubborn i use the Dremel and a bit of heat & cut it off