2017 KTM 500 EXC-F starts regardless of kill switch setting - why?

Bottom line: The motorcycle powers up and starts whether or not the kill switch is on or off, or even if I unplug the kill switch.  How to I troubleshoot the root cause?  I do have a good multi-meter.

Details

I have a 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F that I am building into an adventure-enduro bike. 

The bike has very few miles on it, and those miles are on the street.  I'm trying to make the electrical, engine and suspension mods while the bike is clean.  The bike worked fine when purchased.

Modifications that may or may not be relevant to this problem:

• The ECU has been re-mapped to Euro map.
  • I replaced the factory starter switch with an aftermarket momentary-on switch to make more room on the handlebars for additional switches; it seems to work fine.
  • Installed TrailTech Voyager but left the OEM dashboard installed and connected to power.  I only moved the circuits to the Voyager that go to the Voyager:
    • Installed RPM wire wrapped around the spark plug wire and connected to Voyager
    • Connected front wheel RPM sensor to Voyager
    • Installed radiator fin temperature sensor and wired to Voyager
  • I have made some other electrical and mechanical mods but not sure they are relevant to this issue.  Many of the electrical mode have not yet been connected.

Conditions:

• When the kill switch wires are connected, the bike will start and run whether or not the kill switch is on of off.
  • When I unplug the bullet connector that connects the ground wire on the right side of the bike from the switch, the bike will start and run.
  • I disconnected the kill switch wire from the motorcycle electrical ground wire to the kill switch and used a multi-meter to check the function of the kill switch: the switch itself does open and break the continuity/circuit as expected.
  • The keyed ignition switch seems to work fine.

Questions:

1. I'm ashamed to admit this, but despite a pretty good general knowledge of electricity, I don't know how a kill switch actually works. In a nutshell, how does one work? Without this knowledge, it's hard to troubleshoot.
  2. In general, what is in the list of things that could cause this to occur?  Specifically, could it be the ECU mapping?
  3. What are the troubleshooting steps?

Edited by DRZCamping

It shorts to ground , so you have lost the ground

Thank you.  What's the procedure to test the connections? How does it short to ground or what is to short to ground, please?

Edited by DRZCamping

On the ones I've seen a live wire is grounded to the bars

I bought and installed the sicass momentary kill start switch for a 2016 model and installed it on my 2017 exc. Same thing happened to me. There is a 2017 switch that is different that works properly but is backordered. I'm not sure how the 2017 switch works but it is somehow wired differently. The kill switch is a two wire switch that grounds to kill so I'm not sure how that could be different. The start switch has 4 wires I think so maybe something is different there that causes the problem. I emailed sicass to see if there was a way to jumper wires to make the older model switch work but they said just to wait for the proper switch. I'm sure it is an easy fix but don't have a wiring diagram to figure it out. There must be a connection in the starter button wiring that keeps the kill switch from grounding out the ignition. Wish I could figure it out so I don't have to buy a new switch.

I figured the problem out and I'm sharing it here for others who may stumble onto this thread later. In my case, it turned out to be a loose but still attached grounding wire from the kill switch to the frame.