yz85 push lever is binding

I'd like to say that I really appreciate all the help from this forum. It is amazing. I tried searching for a previous post on this problem and cure but didn't find a match. Found something close which leads me to think that the fix will be more costly. So I'm asking to see if there's a chance at making this easier and less costly.

My son's yz 85 recently had a problem with the clutch not disengaging. Checked the cable and it moved freely but noticed the push lever wasn't always returning back with the spring action. The spring looked intact. Thought there might be something in the clutch keeping it from moving back. Not sure what would do that but took it apart anyway. Everything inside looks good. The plates, fibers, basket, hub both push rods, ball. Some wear on the fibers but good. With every thing out the push lever still wouldn't move freely.

So on the left side I took the chain cover off and see that the chain must have gotten so loose that it started to hit the crankcase where the push lever is. I guess it's pushed the case in enough that it's binding the lever. 

Whose case is I have to change the crankcase. Has anyone ever experienced this and is there an easier/ less expensive fix? I haven't tried to remove the push lever yet. From other posts it sounds like it should come out fairly easy.

Thanks for all the help!

I was able to get the push lever out but not the seal or bearing yet. I guess just pry them out? Is there a better way? In the photo the push lever is just sitting in its spot. It's not pushed in all the way. The bearing doesn't seem to move well. Seems like it got damaged by the chain slap. 

IMG_1680.JPG

I'm not real familiar with the 85 but sounds repairable to me. Might be a little tough getting the push lever out, give it a try. Pack something down the boar below the bulge that you can get out later. File, ream, etc. the bulge out of the boar and smooth it so the push lever goes in and out easy and rotates well. Pull the packing with filings etc. out. Clean up the outside and repair with JB Weld. something like that could work and might be worth a try before making a big project out of it.

Edit: you posted the picture while I was typing my post! That looks worse than I thought but would still give it a try, what do you have to lose?

Did you take that return spring off or is that your problem? On the shaft I should add

Edited by Smoking 2's

I took the spring off to get the push lever out. I was able to get the old damaged bearing out. Had to tap inside out with a rounded punch improvised from a concrete anchor to make room for the new bearing. It was still tight on the push lever shaft so I had to grind the shaft a little narrower where the bearing touches it. JB weld on the outside to fill in the gashes but it been holding up. It took a little while but better than having to replace the case.

• Like 1