RM 125 won't start

Hey all first post here having some issues and could use some more experience.

background: 05 Suzuki RM125. Acquired in a trade. Was ripping great for a day or two on the trails up north and then all of a sudden just bogged down and died. (Only issue during this time was a little bogging when you went wide open throttle--dirty jet for sure, but still ripped).

Breakdown: Piston had gauges in it from a screw being too long it seems and some shavings touching piston.  The carb is from another year and has been rejetted from stock 460 to 370. (Found this out when the carb rebuild kit wouldn't direct replace).

Today: Top end rebuild was done with new gaskets, piston, and proper screws.  The carb has been rebuilt besides the 370 jet, that was cleaned and put back in since I didn't have another one. 

Bike wont start. Doesn't even sound like it wants to. "Wet" is the term I use to describe it when kicking, but the plug isn't wet or flooded.  Has good spark/compression.  Where do I go from here to troubleshoot this thing????

thanks for reading all this! 

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

2BCE30D7-C986-45B4-8822-CA041C5417EA.jpg

IMG_0212.JPG

Drop just half a teaspoon of gas in the cylinder and try to start it. From there we can rule out electrical problems.

Drop just half a teaspoon of gas in the cylinder and try to start it. From there we can rule out electrical problems.

I have tried that with starter fluid and it still barely did anything. Wasn't even a forceful attempt.

More details: Brad new Reeds, carb fills properly with gas.

How do I make sure it's not a bad kill switch? IMG_0255.JPG

I would suggest really trying with some gas directly on the piston. If it starts and runs for about 3 seconds then we know where to look next. If it still shows the same symptoms of barely wanting to start, then it would be pointing towards low compression.

We think the issue may be the stator magnet/coil maybe vibrating or having timing issues. Don't think it's the CDI or ignition coil as it has spark, but the timing just may be off. Will attempt to prove this soon. IMG_0347.PNG

• Like 1