Sign in to follow this  

Radiator guard did it's job

I went into a tree today riding. Ripped off shroud, dented in guard and bent the metal behind it.......but radiator is perfect. I'm very glad I bought it soon after getting bike. I'm gonna try to bend it back20170618_201435.jpg20170618_201428.jpg

• Like 5

Hey you can ride home with broken plastic and dented metal... No radiator is a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Probably a dumb question, but do those guards affect the efficiency of the radiators at all? On my kdx i have these thick plastics fins that channel air into the radiators and ive never had a problem with overheating (even in 98 degree humid weather)

• Like 1

just like the radiator, you have to keep it clean. if your rad guard is packed with garbage....it will prevent a lot of air going through.

the air holes in the flatlands guard (pictured above...I think) appear to offer almost the same surface area as the stock plastic cover. at least to me.

these things aren't designed in a vacuum. they do put them on bikes and test airflow and such. I mean...if they didn't care about maintaining airflow, then a rad guard maker would just make the thing out of 1/4 plate and not put any of those holes in it, the holes weaken the guard. of course, they know the function of the guard and the function of the radiator are pretty important, so they work out the best balance between protection and airflow.

plus the flatlands guard sits a good inch or so in front of the radiator so there's a lot of airflow around the top and up from the bottom as well.

• Like 1