Ben500RR-S

RR-S turn signals, how, utterly, pathetic.

39 posts in this topic

The RR-S turn signals are a total disappointment.  They leak.  Mud gets inside them and all over the inside of not only the lens, but the reflector and bulb.  

Why the signals could not be made more sealed for a dual sport, is beyond me.  

Second, my right rear signal keeps popping out of its socket as it seems that the small nub that was (poorly) designed to keep the turn signal in its place, has worn away and the stalk just keeps on popping out.  I have resigned to leaving it out as it is still held in by the nut/bolt.  

I can hardly believe that after every wet ride, that I need to make taking apart my rear turn signals and cleaning them out.  

Are there any alternatives to these signals?  

When I bought my 390RR it was wired for turn signals.  I ended up installing some Sicass LED flat mounts for the rear and some of the LED flex mount turn signals for the front.  So far no problems after 1,300 miles. 

2 people like this

I agree. Mine kept popping out too.  But I rarely ride mine on the road.  So I took them off. Buy some flush mount types and double side tape them on.

For the LED, either the Sicass or the Tuff Lites-I lean towards the Tuff Lites, what is involved with the harness that needs to be installed to stop the hyperflash?  

Even some of the more expensive aftermarket brands will leak and fill with dirt unless you carefully seal what looks to be sealed assemblies with plastic glue & silicone seal at the wire "pass-through".... At least now you can toss that pathetic excuse for a license plate holder (which that and the silly turn signals) are some of the first things that should be sh*t-canned upon bringing your bike home. 

BTW the subject of OEM turn signals is the same for all of the DS bikes today, I've seen the KTM nice looking ones fall apart in the first 20 miles 

2 people like this

Thanks for all the suggestions.  It is sort of good to know that Beta is not the only one with low quality blinkers to keep the overall bike price down and to allow the aftermarket to provide the more durable LED replacements.  

I just need to know what needs to done to get the resistor/harness hooked up for any LED replacement.  

I'm going to clean out the insides of my lights-never thought I'd have to type that, and then silicone the lens to housing joint and probably order a set of the Tuff Lites for that day when I bust a light completely, I'll have the backup ready to go, or, I'll just replace the rear lights and be done with it.  

Posted (edited)

Use a LED flasher relay not resistors as they get hot and just look crappy. Relay is a plug and play item or a quick connector swap vs. a resistor per LED.

Edited by weantright
1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, weantright said:

Use a LED flasher relay not resistors as they get hot and just look crappy. Relay is a plug and play item or a quick connector swap vs. a resistor per LED.

Flasher relay-gotcha, thanks a ton!  Plug + Play=Win!  

Look at the wire connectors as many different connections are out there. Otherwise just crimp on Beta style connector and be done.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Jesus

Right, the son of God, product of sex-less conception, imagine?  Just like these forsaken blinkers.  

I can now see why his name needed to be invoked based on the situation.  Shoot.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

What did you use for the flasher relay?, and where did you plug it in?  

I used this flasher. It plugged directly into the stock location on my Xtrainer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011BTMDQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turn Signal LED Strip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3J485C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 person likes this

FUHL, thank you so very much.  Good to know that I can plug that in and then probably run whatever LED turn signal, or that nifty LED strip, that must be hella-bright, for the directionals.  

Thanks again, I truly appreciate it and the Amazon-link.  

1 person likes this

The changes to the 18 are pretty darned good.  Thanks for that link.  Shoot, now I will lust after an 18 but will be happy with my 17.  Always something better coming along, always.  

just in case you didnt look at my "our 500 and 125 thread".

GOPR0129.jpg.aae3d11637eea109deeda25fc1fe2d7d.jpgGOPR0124.JPG.557adcac9ab3e4570295503cb663ef8b.JPG

I'm cool with valentina :cool:, She's already paid for:ride:

GOPR0130.jpg.667f5f4800efbcb1592fc05d9468d8d2.jpg

I'm just gonna put her on a diet and sexify her up with some blingage.

1 person likes this

Mine suck as well. I think the factory guys assembled my bike from Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Friday - all of which is which is Chianti Day...the turn signal wires were different colors from front to back. Fawk, pulled my hair out figuring out that one. For the most part they work....most of the time.