Sign in to follow this  

Shifter arm snapped

Read about it enough times, but hadn't happened to me yet until this weekend. Part of the way into my first ride of a 2 day riding/camping trip and went to downshift and the lever fell off. Appears to be a torsional break. Rigged up the vicegrips and a wrench to extend it up a bit and rode the rest of the weekend doing single track and state/county highways. Case split in the future.. oh wellIMG_1115.JPG

• Like 1

Dont know what shift lever you used. We only use stock Xr4 because it bends Easy.Without breaking shaft the stiff aftermarket ones NO NO.

• Like 1

Dont know what shift lever you used. We only use stock Xr4 because it bends Easy.Without breaking shaft the stiff aftermarket ones NO NO.

It was a stocker. By the marks on the shaft it looks like a torsional break. I've been having shifting problems(shifter getting under the stator case not allowing easy up shifts) for the last 5-6 single track rides.
  • Like 1

We have never had shift shaft break with stock wimp shifter. I could count high for the guys with broken shift shafts with IMS shifters.  

7 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

We have never had shift shaft break with stock wimp shifter. I could count high for the guys with broken shift shafts with IMS shifters.  

Good to know!

Thought about going to a billet before because I thought my problem was the shifter bending in towards the case.

I have many bikes Xrs Wrs. Even on my 11 wr450f  I removed the stock billet shifter. Replaced with Xr4 stock shifter,after my buddys Wr snapped the shaft. On the stock Xr shifter once you bend it many times it does get weak bends too easy. I this case I have bought cheap inexpensive metal shifters.